Disappering fish

nazz13

I have a 75gal reef tank with some fish and it seems that perfectly healthy fish will just vanish without a trace

nazz13

No I dont have any brittle stars my biggest fish is a sailfin tang its only 2.5 inces long and just small hermit

xhappyx

i'm having the same problem from what people are telling me it's either a mantis shrimp, my brittle star, or they are jumping out. good luck with it i'm going to take out my brittle star and hope that the fish i put in don't disapear ..

aquapro_1

No inverts in your reef tank? How much lr do you have? Something is in there & eating your fish. It's not the burmuda triange.....

aquapro_1

Originally Posted by xhappyx
i'm having the same problem from what people are telling me it's either a mantis shrimp, my brittle star, or they are jumping out. good luck with it i'm going to take out my brittle star and hope that the fish i put in don't disapear ..
I had a brittle star. It almost cleaned me out. 3 fish in one night. That's when I first got him. Starving nasty creature!! Happy that his gone. Don't miss him!!

nazz13

There is about 40 pounds of rock in there.I just put a brown barred goby in 2 days ago this is the second one it was about 2.5 inches as well just vanished,along with a firefish a shrimp goby ,and a mandrin

dmitry

I had been having the same problem and have still not conclusively figured out what's been going on. I did take out every rock and dipped it into super-salty water at one point, but found no sign of a mantis. I've also never seen or heard it clicking at night. I do have a lot of hermits, 2 emeralds, snails, and at one point had a Skunk Shrimp. (He recently got eaten by one of the emeralds after molting.) Anyway, my only assumption is that they were all eating the dead fish... The vast majority of them died just after I upgraded my tank. If one has no inverts in there....I'm not sure what to suggest!
But they can't simply disappear. Something's consuming them.

hawthorn

I had the same problem and also couldnt find anything that shouldnt be in there for weeks then 1 morning when i went to check the tank and found my bangaii cardinal beig ripped to pieces by a teddy bear crab that had been hiding in a piece of live rock. try looking when the lights in your tank are switched off.