Disasters..... Lets Hear Them.

porfishguy

It all started when I simply wanted to replace some outlets in the kitchen. With my electrical experience(
) I usually hit the main fuse on the breaker box to be sure. This completed I made sure that my wet/dry didn't overflow. Replaced the outlets within about 10 mins and then turned the main back on. I heard the return pump kick in so I continued to work on the outlet covers. Well after a few minutes I briefly looked back at my tank and realized something was wrong. The water in the tank was down about half way. It took a second to realize where all that water must have gone. I luckily had a ranch style townhome so the flood was contained within a 5-6 foot radius of the front half of the tank. I had about 15 gallons of water ready so I had to run out and get more fast. Took 2-3 hours to clean up this mess but the tank was not 100% for about 4-5 or so(lacked the water). A good at the time issue(still not fixed) is that my internal overflow box has a decent leak which allowed the wet dry to flow at about 50% rate until I was able to fill the tank completely. With this ordeal over I didnt loose any inhabitants but the mushrooms are still healling one week later. I imagine that about 30 gallons of water must have hit my floor.

kristycore

oh man that sounds horrible!
luckily your livestock survived... what kind of floor did you have? tiles... or carpet?

kristycore

we're still playing with the settings on our skimmer
we've got a bucket for the excess
and well its overflowing everynight haha

porfishguy

I purchased a new carpet on a cement slab prior to this fish tank being setup. I even optid to spend the extra money for the carpet padding that had a water barrier. :)

liontamer

A power outage happened, and my 55 gallon tank was upstairs. I had a wet dry running on it, and thought that reverse siphon happened. I drilled a hole in the top of the tube, just to make sure that something like that happened. Turns out I was dumb enough to put the slow running pump for my uv sterilizer in the display, and then put the return in the overflow box. The thing slowly siphoned out all the water to about 6 inches from the sand bed, which totally ruled out the possibility of it being the return hose on the wetdry. I had about 45-50 gallons of water go from the top floor, down onto the main floor, then down into the basment. My angel died, my longnose hawk died, and my royal gramma died. Yellow tang and algae blenny pulled through it though. AFter that I take all precautions necessary, and who wouldnt?

corbin1234

i got one that will make you cry

not my own experience but one of my dads buiseness partners.
he has a 1000 gallon tank, thats not a typo its a thousand gallons!! and he went on vacation, one of his pumps that led into his sump over heated and caught fire!!!!
his entire house burt to the ground along with his gigantic reef!!!!!

that be a lession to make sure all of your electrical work is safe

Scene: June 2001, beautiful sunny summer day. We leave to run some errands, Hubby suggests we stop back at home for some lunch b4 continueing running around. We pull around the corner to find fire trucks and rescue at our house. Come to find out and faulty electrical outlit caught our spare room on fire.
When they finally let us in the 1/2 back of the house of torched, the front (where the tank was) had extensive smoke damage. Everyone in the tank ( black molly, 2 fresh water puffers, mandrin goby, decorator crab, horseshoe crab, hammer coral, snails, hermies) was alive, but the tank water was almost completely black. With all the comotion, power and water turned off and noone close by with a saltwater setup, there was no way we could have saved anyone. we had to just let them all perish
but the cats survived.
ok that my disaster
~Fishy Wife~