Discoloration in my Live Rock Help!!

mini micro

My i've noticed my live rock going from a bright purple and pink colour to a dull beige colour which looks to be covering them! I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if anyone knows what would have caused this so i can get my colourful rocks back!
Plz Help!!

mini micro

nitrate, nitrite 0.1
salinity 1.024
pH 7.5 I think
Im thinking I may need to do a large water change As this are a bit low.
But what would you think would cause this to happen?

A big water change should bring down your nitrates and nitrites since they are not at zero. Also your pH is very low and need to bring your pH up to 8.3. Best way to bring the pH up is to buy a pH buffer.

mini micro

Yup have a buffer here wil get on to it straight way.
If this is restored will the colour return to my rock?

1journeyman

Originally Posted by mini micro
nitrate, nitrite 0.1
salinity 1.024
pH 7.5 I think
Im thinking I may need to do a large water change As this are a bit low.
But what would you think would cause this to happen?
Presence of Nitrite is never a good thing as it shows your tank's cycle has had a hiccup (could be decomposing coralline I suppose).
Have you changed lighting recently?
Water changes are always good. Your pH is definitely low. I prefer continued water changes to get that within acceptable parameters.

mini micro

yes i upgraded my lighting there would this cause problems?
There has been a lot of evaporation recently in the tank!

1journeyman

Originally Posted by mini micro
yes i upgraded my lighting there would this cause problems?
There has been a lot of evaporation recently in the tank!
Yes, stronger lighting could bleach your coralline.

H

huskychasrs

Whip out a 25% water change give it a day and give us so new readings.
Rick

shrimpi

I think that you are looking at a case of the missing calcium and dissolved nutrients.
How old is your tank? Coralline algae is indeed 'alive' and needs certain things to thrive.
Whats your water temp?
Whats your Calcium.
Look less deep into this situation. Alot of times its a simple fix.
Or you could just have a bad experience. SW tanks have a tendency to 'color outside the lines' at times.

cgj

Im obscessed with coralline growth and am doing everything I can to increase its growth. I know exceptionally high PH and calcium levels are needed, so I give the tank a good drip of kalkwasser solution every night, which not only brings PH up a little, but also adds calcium.
I Have ALOT of green algae growing, is green algae just unevolved purple coralline?

mini micro

This is my second tank and has been running since December everything has been running well up unitl now! Done a large water change there today so wil let the tank settle for a while and then redo the tests and post up the results see whats yous think!
Thanks for the help everyone appreciate it!