Discovery Channel builds my 250 FOWLR Monday night!

sandman12

WOW, i saw the previews and though thats awsome!! then i thought that would be even cool if it where some off of swf.com!! and what do u know it was!! This is sooo freaking cool. I wish it where my house. I am, deffinatly going to watch it.
You know how one guy is always a jerk or mean or doesnt want to work? IS that planned or does ti just happen? To me it always seems that there is always one guy like this.
I cant wait to see it. HOw did u get this? u just entered and won or what?
And yeah i would toss the trigger and grouper

malibupam

Originally posted by sandman12
I cant wait to see it. HOw did u gte this? u just entered and won or what?

We applied online back in June, sending in digital pix of the house, along with why we were right for Monster House. We requested "California Dreamin' Malibu Beach house," and they tweaked it to "Under the Sea." I asked them why they chose us over the hundreds of applications they get each week. They told me it was a combination of several things. They wanted a family (we have 4 kids); we live in Malibu, which goes with The Sea; we have a very unique house and a huge yard for production; and they needed someone for "Under the Sea" which the Discovery Channel requested an episode of. Also, you need to live within 1 hour of LA.
They ended up putting us off until the second season, and then shot the episode Sept 15 to 21. And, here we are! I keep seeing the preview and can't believe it is me!

malibupam

Originally posted by SLOFish
Definitely gonna watch this. Did it cost anything at all for them to put in the 250 gal?

To the best of my knowledge, it was all donated by the fish guy, and his suppliers. I think the builders needed to reinforce the raised foundation--and build the cabinet, and all their labor was free. Plus, building materials are mostly donated as well. Here's a clue: if you see the name of the company, it was donated.
All I know for sure is that technically it cost me nothing . . . until the Monday morning after when it was mine to maintain.
All the other stuff was also free--even 1800 sq ft of carpet!

phoenixinx

It's on right now!
They are turning your house into an total SEA THEME!!! WOW! Battleship doors, periscopes, to iron decks??? GEEZ!
Quite wild! ;)
The kids will certainly be inviting friends over to see this!
Can we get to the tank already? :D
Congrats!

csrobe02

FOWLR??... Is that CORAL I see in that tank?! :D :D
That must have been so exciting for you!! Everything looks AWESOME! Congrats!

phoenixinx

Originally posted by CSRobe02
FOWLR??... Is that CORAL I see in that tank?! :D :D
That must have been so exciting for you!! Everything looks AWESOME! Congrats!

Indeed... I think it was coral! ;)
I liked your sons face when he walked in... "OH MY GAW...."
It looked kinda like... :eek:

tdragon

i just saw the episode and the entire house is awesome but that tank is kick a$$ and getting it for free well one word lucky

sandman12

yeah awsome, they didnt stay on the tank long enough, how about some pics if u can. I feel bad for stephany, lots of welding.
Congrats keep it in good shape its really nice

janelle

dont forget about us all now that youre a celebrity!
and pics of how the tank looks now would be AWESOME, if you can post them here that would be great!!! :D

lesleybird

Originally posted by MalibuPam
moopiespoo--We were not worrried at all about what was going on inside, because we were so psyched for change. As it turned out, they didn't change that much style wise. It wasn't half as outrageous as we'd pictured.
I actually thought they were putting in a much bigger tank, by all the steel and concrete they carried into the house. I had no idea, at the time, what maintenance costs if you have to pay someone to take care of it (as a newby like me must, for a while). I think we may be lucky they stopped at 250. I heard a rumor later that they had considered getting us one of those huge archway tanks, but they couldn't get it in fast enough, logistically, to work with the shoot schedule.
The fish we kept are doing great. Our professional fish guy is very pleased. We did send away several of the larger, messier fish to reduce the bioload and save maintenance/feeding cost and stress to the tank. And, 17 out of 25 of the little blue guys vanished mysteriously in the first 3 weeks. Only 2 bodies ever found. We also lost our lyretail wrasse suddenly, without sign of sickness--he just dropped dead about 2 weeks after the tank started. Otherwise, they are all doing wonderfully. Here is the final count:
8 little blue guys (damsels?)
5 yellow tangs
1 purple tang
1 flame angel
2 clowns
1 panther grouper
1 clown trigger
1 long nose butterfly
1 red hawkfish
We also took out almost all of the fake stuff. The tank is dressed very colorfully for TV, but for daily life, the look was just too high maintenance and fussy.

Yea, Like did they cycle the tank? From what you have told us the answer is not.....No wonder you lost the fish. Good luck with the new tank! Lesley