disease and death in my tanks.many problems HELP!

legoalie31

okay so i have an 80 gallon tank and a little bio-cube. in the small tank my royal gramma got ich so we set up a little tank to get rid of it and in less than 24 hours it died and so i tested the water and the ammonia had spiked and i have no idea why it happened so fast. in the bigger tank i had my lionfish die because he lost most of his coloration on his stripes and no matter what I tried he wouldn't eat. before this we had been fighting ich on my damsel and we treated the whole entire tank because we were told sometimes you cant see ich on lionfish and my koran angel had it too. this morning I tested the water on the 80 and the ammonia was up a little so i did a water change and brought the salinity down a little. does anyone know why this happened??
im so sad i lost my lionfish

2batrigger

Originally Posted by Legoalie31
okay so i have an 80 gallon tank and a little bio-cube. in the small tank my royal gramma got ich so we set up a little tank to get rid of it and in less than 24 hours it died and so i tested the water and the ammonia had spiked and i have no idea why it happened so fast. in the bigger tank i had my lionfish die because he lost most of his coloration on his stripes and no matter what I tried he wouldn't eat. before this we had been fighting ich on my damsel and we treated the whole entire tank because we were told sometimes you cant see ich on lionfish and my koran angel had it too. this morning I tested the water on the 80 and the ammonia was up a little so i did a water change and brought the salinity down a little. does anyone know why this happened??
im so sad i lost my lionfish

sorry to hear of such a thing. Hate to say it but sounds like you should break it down and start from scratch. What equuipment you got ? how long running? need more info

miaheatlvr

Leg, you have alot of problems and we need info, how old is the tank? Give us all you tank perameters including SET-UP and all latest tank water parameters as well, Most importantly you have 2 big problems Ick and more importantly Amonia, You need to find out where the Amonia coming from, 2 places something died in your tank or something is causing some kind of cycle in your tank, we need to get to the bottom of this first!

legoalie31

small tank for 7 months big for 4. i think i figured it out. the gramma died from the ammonia spike in the QT, the lionfish died from an ammonia spike from treating the damsel because it destroyed the biological filter, and now I have to do water changes every few days. does that sound good? any suggestions?

miaheatlvr

small tank for 7 months big for 4. i think i figured it out. the gramma died from the ammonia spike in the QT, the lionfish died from an ammonia spike from treating the damsel because it destroyed the biological filter, and now I have to do water changes every few days. does that sound good? any suggestions?
'
Whats in the tank now? How and what did you do to treat the damsels in the big tank?

legoalie31

i just put in ich meds which i just found out was a big mistake in the small tank is a firefish a mandarin dragonet.(oops.) and a bunch of corals and a queen conch a few snails and hremit crabs and a horseshoe crab. in the big tank is a domino damsel, a koran angelfish juvi, and a panther grouper. also a sea apple and snails and hermit crabs

miaheatlvr

i just put in ich meds which i just found out was a big mistake in the small tank is a firefish a mandarin dragonet.(oops.) and a bunch of corals and a queen conch a few snails and hremit crabs and a horseshoe crab. in the big tank is a domino damsel, a koran angelfish juvi, and a panther grouper. also a sea apple and snails and hermit crabs
Oh my goodness,, MANDARIN? HORSESHOE CRAB, SEA APPLE, PANTHER GROUPER?
First we have to agree that the only proven ich cures are hyposalinity and copper. It sounds like you have damaged and overloaded your bio-load. It also souds like your tank is going through another cycle. If the sea apple dies it will pollute you tank even more. All of these things should have introduced at a crawl speed and somebody should have helped you better at your loca fish store, also you should have done some of your own research on these fish and inverts either on this site or some other method. You amonia spike will definately kill the rest of whats in your tank and any copper introduced will kill your corals and inverts.
My suggestion is to call your local fish store and see if they can hold your things for you until you get your tanks straightened out, break everything down and start over, especially with copper and amonia in the system.. Sorry, maybe somebody else can chime in?

legoalie31

what copper in the system? i really dont want to start over. will the water changes be enough to bring everything down?

miaheatlvr

Leo, there are ONLY 2 proven methods on removing ick, hyposalinity and copper, avoid adding chemicals to your tank at all means. Check the disease and treatment thread on this site and good luck! ALSO check on fish and invert compatability and sizes in the new hobbyist thread.