diseased live rock

jacoby

i got a new liverock the other day after soaking it in salt water for 4 hours i placed it in my tank.the next moring i had dead fish. and my nitrites and nitrates were about off the charts but my ammonia was 0. within 48 hrs all my fish were dead and my tank was in der stress. the tank was going good till i put the live rock in. can any one tell me what is wrong with the liverock for it to do this to my tank tank had been fine till then with normorl test readings before this.
HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!

michaeltx

where did you receive the rock from and was it cured before you got it.
what comes to mind is that the rock had some dieoff that cause the tank to go through a mini cycle and if I had to bet that your ammonia tests have went bad there is no way the nitrite would be showing high if there wasnt some amount of ammonia in there aswell.
I would take a water sample to the LFS and have them double check your readings.
Mike

not sure if this is helpful or not but I read this in the new hobbyiest area... 4 hours seems pretty quick
Curing Process for Live Rock
There are many different ways to cure live rock. Two methods we recommend include:
Method A
The curing process of live rock for the established display aquarium that already contains fish, corals, or any other marine animals is as follows:
Rinse each piece of live rock in a small bucket of saltwater to remove any loose organic matter, debris, or sand.
Place the live rock in a new 30-gallon plastic garbage can. Consider adding bottom drains to the container to speed draining and water changes.
Completely cover the rock with freshly mixed saltwater, with a specific gravity of 1.021-1.025.
Provide a heater and keep the water temperature from 76-84ºF. In general, the higher the temperature, the faster the curing process will occur, since it speeds the die off of unwanted organisms.
Create constant water movement with a power head or air stone.
Keep the area dimly lit to prevent algae blooms.
Perform 100% water changes twice weekly.
Scrub the rock with a new nylon bristle brush or toothbrush between water changes to remove any white film or dead material.
After 1 week, check the ammonia and nitrite levels periodically. When the water conditions stabilize and ammonia tests are zero, the rock is considered cured, and ready to be placed into the display aquarium.
Using this method, most rock will be fully cured in 3-5 weeks.
Method B
The curing process of live rock for the new aquarium that does NOT contain fish, corals, or any other marine animals is as follows:
Live rock may be used to cycle a new marine aquarium. Follow the manufacturer's directions on the installation of all filtration devices and accessories. Fill the aquarium with water and add salt to achieve the desired specific gravity of 1.021-1.025. Activate all filtration equipment, check for leaks, and set heater and/or chiller to the desired temperature of 76-84ºF.
Rinse each piece of live rock in a small bucket of saltwater to remove any loose organic matter, debris, or sand.
Place the live rock into the aquarium to create a stable foundation for corals or decorations.
Keep the lighting system off during the cycling period in order to reduce the likelihood of undesirable algae growth.
Scrub the rocks periodically with a new nylon bristle brush or toothbrush to remove any white film or dead material.
Perform 50% water changes weekly while siphoning out any organic matter and loose debris that accumulates at the bottom of the aquarium.
Check the ammonia and nitrite levels in the aquarium weekly.
When both the ammonia and nitrite levels are zero, perform a 50% water change on the aquarium.
After 24 hours, check the pH of the water and adjust as needed to achieve the desired level of 8.1-8.4.
Depending on the equipment that is installed, most aquariums will cycle within 3-5 weeks using this technique.
Helpful Tips for Controlling Unwanted Pests
Important: Do not place live rock directly into an aquarium containing fish, corals, or other marine animals until it has been cured.
Before (or after) curing your newly arrived live rock, you can submerse the new rock into a bucket filled with saltwater with a specific gravity of 1.035 to 1.040 for one minute. Any invertebrates including: mantis shrimp, bristle worms, and crabs, will quickly evacuate from the rock into the bucket of water. Bristle worms still attached to the rock can be removed with a pair of needle-nosed pliers or tweezers. After removing the live rock from the bucket, you can then sort through the invertebrates in the bucket that you want to add to your system and discard the unwanted pests.
Curing Process for Live Sand
Live sand should be well rinsed in saltwater to remove any organic matter that may foul the water in the aquarium. After rinsing, the sand may be placed directly in any marine aquarium.
Pour the sand from the shipping bag into a new 5-gallon bucket, filling the bucket 1/2 full with live sand.
Add saltwater from the aquarium until the bucket is 2/3 full of water and sand.
Slowly stir the sand by hand until the water within the bucket becomes cloudy with debris.
Discard the dirty water from the bucket and place the sand back into the shipping bag.
Submerge the shipping bag to the bottom of the aquarium and slowly dispense the sand evenly over the bottom.
Repeat steps 1-5 until all of the sand has been placed into the aquarium.
By following these methods to cure live rock and sand, your aquarium will be off to a good start, and you will have created a healthy environment for the coral, invertebrates, and fish you will adding.

jacoby

did that took it to the fish store and had it check 3 time and the ammonia level was 0 all 3 time just the nitrites and the nitratesw were effected

michaeltx

the ammonia was effected to if there are nitrite they may have been consumed already though by the bacteria and turned to nitrites.
where did the rock come from and how long was it out of the water for?
Mike

jacoby

got it at the fish store the day it came in was cured . and it was still moist when i brouht it home

michaeltx

you got the rock from the store the day it came in. if I am unserstanding you right this is your problem it takes a couple of weeks or more for the rock to cure and all the dieoff to stop and be useable in an established tank.
rock is shipped 2 day ground and during shipping there is dieoff no matter what the staus of the rock was before it was sent out. ALL shipped rock needs to recured. did you ask the LFS about this and what did they have to say about your situation?
Mike

michaeltx

sorry to heat that you lost fish over this though.
I do have a question though is the same store that you bought your fish from and did they tell you it was ok to put this rock directly in the tank? and out of curiousity where did the 4 hour soak come from?
mike

jacoby

i was there when it came in they put right in there tanks full of fish and every thing else the 4 hour thing was just me tring to be safe. paper said fully cured. oh but none of my shrimp or crabs or snail, or any thing else died

sepulatian

I am wondering if there was some kind of contaminant on the rock. Overnight seems awfully quick to kill all of your fish and for their not to be a ammonia reading. What did the nitrites and nitrate read before and after? Michael is correct about the rock needing to be cycled again after they received it. The lack of ammonia in such a small amount of time is puzzling to me. How much live rock did you already have in the tank and how much did you add? How long has your tank been set up?

jacoby

3 peices of live rock, 5lbs of new live rock 8 mths
nitrite 0 to.25 nitrate 0 to 5.0 ammonia 0 to.25 the day before the live rock

sepulatian

Originally Posted by jacoby
http:///forum/post/2657135
3 peices of live rock, 5lbs of new live rock 8 mths
nitrite 0 to.25 nitrate 0 to 5.0 ammonia 0 to.25 the day before the live rock
Those spikes would not have wiped out your stock. You had five lbs already in there for eight months?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by jacoby
http:///forum/post/2657187
no added 5 lbs had 20 lbs for 8 mths
Something does not sound right here. I honestly do not see how five pounds would kill off your tank over night, yet leave your inverts untouched. I can see the spikes in nitrite and nitrate being from the fish that died or from a small amount of ammonia from the rock though. Did you add any new pieces of equipment to the tank? Have you checked the tank for stray voltage?

michaeltx

it realy depends on how much dieoff was on the rock and what was dead or dying in the rock as to what effect it can have on a tank.
Mike

sepulatian

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2658428
it realy depends on how much dieoff was on the rock and what was dead or dying in the rock as to what effect it can have on a tank.
Mike
That is my point. If the die off was bad then ammonia would be present the next day. If it spiked to .25 then it would break down by morning. The nitrites are not bad, they are readable, but not bad. The nitrates are not high either. If the readings were huge then that would be different. Nothing points to die off being the culprit here.