Diseased rocks

tigerbarb

I had some live rock in a quarantine tank, and the fish I was quarantining caught velvet in the tank. What do I do to the live rock to make it safe to be in a tank again?

hammerhed7

leave the rock in a tank, or container for at least 4-6 weeks with no fish in the system, any parasites on the rock will be gone in that time. This will work for ick, I would assume it would also work for velvet, a parasite with no host will eventually die.

ca161406

yeah i use to do that with my fw tanks. but it was more up too the 90* range for a day or so. its supposed to get rid of the ick

unleashed

well due to the fact your not positive what it is exactly that killed these fish its pure speculation at this point (marine velvet that is )..I personally would remove the rock from the tank and boil it literally wash this rock with scalding hot fresh water.. yes you will kill everything on the rock even the good bacteria .however it would at least help ensure not spreading of infectious diseases that could be passed through the rocks later on.

B

bobbie

yeah definatly get rid of the rocks i had the problem of irksome pest living in live rock . got rid of them i thought, eventually had to break down the entire tank to do away with them i have never personally dealt with any type of disease though but i keep my tank just below 90 degrees