Diseased Scopus Tang

I got this scopus tang from a friend he did want it. I put it in a 180 gallon reef. He treated the bacteria that was eating it in his tank. This fish is always eating and is active. My quiestion is how long until his skin comes back? I also took a yellow tank in this similar condition and his fins on the top are coming back. It been a month since I had him. Picture below.

ericholcek

honestly it may never come back, it all depends on how deep the wounds you are. Looks like you have a fish with some battle wounds

Wow that really stinks, I was hoping to get the true colors back. What a horrible thing to happen. What causes this and how to prevent it in the future?

ericholcek

not sure what causes it but it happened to my yellow tang. It will get better but no where nears as it was before it happened.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Aside from being beat up and chewed, the actaual skin condition is Head and Lateral Line Erosion [HLLE]. Do a search here on that topic, you will find a wealth of info that is valuable. After your research, if you have questons, post back.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, and I wonder if you would mind if I kept that picture. I may use it for in the future to post here as a reference.

Yes you can use the pic, I thought I knew what head and line HLLE was. I am learning every day. I thought this condition was a bacterial infection that feeded on the skin and upper fins.
Wrong?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
To me that tang has HLLE. Of course, I am only looking at the picture not the acutal fish. Take a look at the pic of tangs in the FAQ Thread that have HLLE.
This can be caused my many things. HLLE is a causation, not the actual cause. Thus, you need to review all the infomation that we have talked about in the past in this forum, then address the problem on several fronts.
No, it is not a bacterial infection, and cannot be treated with antibiotics. Although, an infection could have been the initial "cause" for the onset of the condition. The treatment is long term and needs to be addressed on several fronts. Do you have a grounding probe? What are you feeding this fish? Do you use any supplements? What are your water readings, including nitrates and phosphates?