Disposing of water

generik

What does everyone do with the water from your water changes?
I used to dump my fresh water in the garden. Is there enough salt in the water to harm plants and grass?

Just don't dump it near any pond or major source of water. Last time people did that in California they went and got I think it was Culerpa (sp) taxifola band.
Don't know who did it and prolly will never find out.
See the algae spores acclimated to the climate and are overgrowing.
I dump mine in the driveway but again it is just dirt and gravel.
Adam

twoobem

Dont't dump it in a toliet if you have septic tank. You will find cleaning a septic tank is much worse than the reef tank.
I created a four foot french drain where I dump the salt water.

sonny

Definately don't dump it in the garden... the salt will kill your plants. I dump mine in my septic tank and have never had a problem. They have to be cleaned about every 3-4 years anyway. You need to remember that you are also dumping soap in the septic tank when you shower, and of course what you add to your toilet for it's main purpose... salt water is much less toxic than urine.
Sonny

flydan

Hey,
I dump mine in the utility sink in the basement about 10 steps away from my tank.
Dan'l

twoobem

Please check carefully if you are using a septic tank to dump your saltwater. You can research online about saltwater and what it does to a septic tank and the method used to disolve solids.
It is a lot like washing all your live rock, DSB, and wet/dry in fresh water and then expect it to clean up the waste.

sonny

Most septic tanks are hundreds of gallons, so dumping 10 to 30 gallons of saltwater in it is not much. Similar to adding a quarter cup of salt water to a gallon of fresh water. Plus, you only do it once or twice a month, so it really is not a big deal. If you were dumping it daily, I bet there would be a problem. Don't you think urine has tons of salt in it? I know it's very acidic.
Sonny

dburr

A few gallons every week or two adds up over 2 years before the next cleaning.
I dump mine outside, sometimes on poison ivy or other weeds when in season. :cool:

rmc

All this talk about where to dump your saltwater. One thing I can tell you DO NOT just generalize with a septic system find out what type you have. Just like there are FO and Reef tanks there are different types of septic systems. With a septic system if you have a leach field you’re probably OK to dump your water into it( but again please verify). If you live near any stream, river or water where your systems output dumps into you most likely have a mini sewage filtration system like I do. These systems have beneficial bacteria just like our tanks do. I can tell you with the utmost certainty as I have seen many replaces around me that the saltwater makes short work of the bacteria then the sand filter becomes clogged and several thousand dollars later you can get it replaced. A very expensive and needless cost. Another misfortune is most people who have a septic also have a water softener that they let the brine wash into their septic, again a no no. I just dump my saltwater onto my backyard grass.