Dissapointed

calbert0

So i picked up a firefish today, through him in my QT tank with the lights off.
After about half an hour i flip the lights on to find him caught in the tiniest of powerheads. Now he is struggling on the bottom and will almost certainly not survive.

browniebuck

You live, you learn my saltwater friend! I had the same thing happen to me when I was beginning. Now, I cover all of my powerheads in all of my tanks. I use filter media (mine is about an inch or two thick and blue). I cut the filter media into a rectangle that is large enough to cover the powerhead intake from top to bottom. Next, slice a pocket into the top of the rectangle and slide the intake into the pocket...now, when a fish gets near the powerhead, they aren't sucked directly to it, they can escape.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by calbert0
http:///forum/post/3171651
So i picked up a firefish today, through him in my QT tank with the lights off.
After about half an hour i flip the lights on to find him caught in the tiniest of powerheads. Now he is struggling on the bottom and will almost certainly not survive.
Did you acclimate him in, or just "throw" him in?

flower

A healthy fish does not get sucked into a power head. Either your fire fish was unhealthy when you got it, or you didn’t acclimate him properly.
Bringing a new fish home is very stressful for them…the LFS do not guarantee a fish after you buy it…SWF.com has a 15 day warranty. Maybe you should get your fish from them, and carefully follow the acclimating instructions.
You are doing very good to use a QT before placing in the main tank…so don’t be discouraged, you’re on the right track.