Distilled Water from Wal-Mart Safe???

pblrdom

Hella all,
I am just wondering if i should use distilled water from Wal-Mart in my tank??
It is $.68/gallon.
I dont have a RO/DI unit, so what are my other options?
I do however have a softwater filter on my tap water at home.
Here are some pics.
Any one have any advice on the water i can use or should use?

so_major

pretty cool if you ask me. Although, I use publix water from the glacier machine and put the salt and buffer it up at my house after I have filled my jugs.

hagfish

I used the bottled distilled water for many months with no problems. If that's what you are talking about, it will work fine.
But I highly recommend just getting an RO/DI filter. It will pay for itself pretty quickly considering how much water is needed on a decent size tank for top-off's and water changes.

bluelagoon

does your walmart have a water machine?? that is what i've been using the whole 5 months of my tank with absolutely no problems. and it's only like 24 cents a gallon.

mr.125

Most water companies that suply drinking water comercially will put additives in the water for taste and preservation. Most of these additives are not suited for salt water environments.
If you have an Alhambra dealer in your area then i would research that option as they offer drinking water and plane old distilled water w/ no mineral content.
If not try and find a local water suplier and inquire about their filtration method and if they add things to the water.

drew2005

Instead of the distilled from Walmart use the drinking water. Green label and green cap. Its RO water. 68 cents a gallon. Thats what i use.

mr.125

Originally Posted by drew2005
Instead of the distilled from Walmart use the drinking water. Green label and green cap. Its RO water. 68 cents a gallon. Thats what i use.
That seems to be the trend w/ Alhambra in my area...thee greeen cap means distilled

pblrdom

sounded good lol, idk if i went over board, but at keats i wont have to go back to Wally World!
HEHE

i bought 20 cases
(6g each)

dexter

so you spent around $80+ for all that water? I started with the wally world $0.25/gallon water dispenser, however, broke down and got an ro/di unit off that ebeay site for around $110.00 for a 75gph unit. Well worth the investment and it has already paid for itself in the 4 months i've had it hooked upt o my 50 gallon resivoir.

IMO, get an RO/DI unit. especially if you are using all 120 gallons of that water to fill your display tank. :happyfish
dxtr

drew2005

Originally Posted by Mr.125
That seems to be the trend w/ Alhambra in my area...thee greeen cap means distilled
Really! Thats Weird the distilled here is a purple label and cap. :thinking:

birdy

no matter where you get your water, you should always test it, get a $20 TDS meter and see how pure it really is. Also testing it for Nitrates, and Phosphates is always a good idea.

hagfish

How big is your tank? An RO unit really does pay for itself pretty quickly if you've got even a 55 gallon tank.

mr_bill

Originally Posted by drew2005

yep yep
Check outside your Walmart for a RO dispenser also, 20cents a gallon.

sarwiz100

The walmart purple top "distilled" water here tested at .50ppm + for ammonia. We use the glacier machine at Jewel, but they charge 0.49 a gallon. It tested pure. Always test your water.

littlebuck

watch out for the walmart do it your self bottles. Like the culligan machine. I used it a few weeks ago and i had a bad blow up of red slime from using that water. It was all gone for a month or so and used that water for a water change and bam it was back. CAlled culligan and he siad that the guy didnt check it that week since he was sick LOL so a walmart employee just initaled it so people would see that. Guess you cant trust anyone. Just watch out. Buy your own a whole lot cheaper.

pblrdom

well i decided not to buy a ro unit because i simply am not allowed to have 1. I live at home and my parents said no. (im 18). But the walmart water actually cost me about 30 buxx for 20 cases, its cheaper if you buy it bulk. It seems to be doin great, put it in yesterday after i posted.