Distilled water vs R.O/D.I.

g13

What is the difference? Is RO/DI really that much better than distilled? Is distilled any good for saltwater use?

dont know the diff. but we just go to winCo foods and get the water from there water mech. its like 35 cents a gallon if you already have a jug, or like 65 for there jug, then just reuse it, way cheaper then buying a RO unit, hth

nas19320

They are just two different ways to purify water. Usually distilled is much better than tap water but RO/DI is the best. I would test any water before you use it because distilled water may contain phosphates or copper. I used distilled water for a while before I bought my RO/DI but I couldn't seem to get rid of some of my algae problems until I switched to RO/DI.

tru conch

ro/di water can be up to 99.9% pure, which is lab quality water. it doesnt get any cleaner than that.

I have used both with equally good results. Started with distilled but it got cumbersome lugging all that water around. Then bought a nice RO/DI unit and have had just as good of luck with that. Cheaper and easier in the long run, although requires maintainance to keep the water clean and pure. Be sure to change your various filters regularly.

scottnj

Distilled water is basically a process of boiling the water and collecting the steam, leaving what is not water in the boiler. Older distilling equipment commonly used copper tubes which could cause you to have some copper in the final product. From what I have been told, its pretty rare today to find that. So in a pinch distilled is okay, I have used it for top-off water.
Also, if your in a pinch most of the food stores in my area sell 'Purified' water in 2.5 gallon and 1 gallon jugs from a company called 'Great Bear' according to the Great Bear web sight it is RO/DI purified.
-Scott