distilled water?

That's funny that this came up; we were just talking about this in chem11 today! H2O has no charge, but when you add something like NaCl you get a tiny bit of both + and - charges. Na lossed a negative particle-making it slightly positive- and Cl gained a negative particle-making it slightly negative-when the two combined. When the compund is dissolved in H2O it dissociates, leaving you with the negativily charged chlorine ions, and the positively charged sodium ions flating around in the H2O. When an electrode is placed in the water the positive ions move toward the negative end and the negatives move toward the positive end.
Hmm, that just help me study for my final this friday.

40 galons

so whats this all mean. useing distilled water for an number of years = ?.useing ro/di for a number of years = ? do we get different answers here??

phixer

Originally Posted by 2563
That's funny that this came up; we were just talking about this in chem11 today! H2O has no charge, but when you add something like NaCl you get a tiny bit of both + and - charges. Na lossed a negative particle-making it slightly positive- and Cl gained a negative particle-making it slightly negative-when the two combined. When the compund is dissolved in H2O it dissociates, leaving you with the negativily charged chlorine ions, and the positively charged sodium ions flating around in the H2O. When an electrode is placed in the water the positive ions move toward the negative end and the negatives move toward the positive end.
Hmm, that just help me study for my final this friday.

Yup, although there are different anodic and cathodic reactions for different alloys exposed to various environments basically this is how the corrosion of metals takes place. In a nutshell.
And also why saltwater high in concentrated O2 is so corrosive.
Whats this all mean,
we are getting off on a tangent. RO/DI water is best when the real thing isnt availible IMO.

catawaba

Originally Posted by bpd
It will conduct very little. Electricity is conducted by electrodes (stuff IN the water), like salts or metals. Distilled water doesnt have those.
Still.. I wouldnt recommend dropping your hair dryer in a tub of distilled water to test it out. :)
Water doesn't have electrodes, it has electrolytes
(Think gatorade)
The electrodes are parts of the TDS meter.