diving for fish? what checmical is used to slow them down...?

cskyhawk

:notsure: does anyone know what chemical to use or it what ratio... has anyone done this...
I am going diving in the keys next week and have found that it is limited but legal to get some fish while I am there and I have a really big empty medicine tank so I want to try... it would be cool to have fish form actual dives I did sentimental you know.
I tried last time bad it is nearly impossible to catch them with a net in the wild...

jenn-e

Yes it's cyanide. But it is not a good idea to catch fish this way. It will most likley harm them.

snipe

best way two ppl with a saining net circle around the fish then go over the top and ketch them it would be easier with live fish traps also.

sammiefish

You should consult a Divemaster or guide who is in the location where you are headed. I am a DM way up north, but this is just the sort of info they can provide.... location and method of doing what you want to do.
Be advised, however, that anything that is deemed as damaging to the reef or environment will not likely be met with alot of goodwill.... the reef is the DM or guides bread and butter.... and if you damage it they will not be too happy....
thats why I say ASK for help... they will tell you how and where to get what you want... and dont forget ...
they like tips... they might even help you!!!

backstab

Cskyhawk!
say,....
you don't work for ***** do you......:mad:
Please don't destroy natural reef or wild life. What you intend to do is horible.
Sentimental value?? Take a picture.

backstab

Originally posted by sammiefish
I need to defend him... as long as he doesnt use cyanide!!!
what the heck do you think you are doing when you purchase a fish. there are VERY few species of fish that are tank bred.... they come from the ocean...!!!
do you have a tank?... with fish, or coral, or rock, or aragonite?..
the issue is to do it responsibly....
consult the locals... they will tell you the local fish and game laws...
HMMM... Im starting to think that this is all boloney!!! you two cant be serious
You know... if you just want to slow them down try beer... or maybe wiskey

Are you crazy or just really exited?? :rolleyes:
Besides the top part who else we you talking to?
Using chemicals to procure fish is not good for the ocean. It's pollution. Thats the big problem here, aside from hurting the fish and the Reef that is.

snipe

Yeah Chemicals on anything is wasteful it dont help you get them in anyway you may get that fish your looking for but what good is it if its dead :notsure: .

nm reef

A heck of a lot of effeort and funds are being expended to STOP the use of cyanide...why even consider such methods?It not only damages the fish caught but is known to have lingering after effects on the entire eco-system. Plus you'd need to consider how you'd safely transport the specimans back to your home...not a real good idea in my mind. Better to purchase via normal channels and enjoy your trip...take pictures if you must have something to bring back...but avoid doing damage to the eco-systems.:thinking:

thederek

Im sure his intentions were not to go around pulluting the reef. He probably didnt know that the chemical was cyanide and that it was damaging. Most likely he heard somewhere that this method was used and assumed that it was enviromentally safe.

backstab

Originally posted by thederek
Im sure his intentions were not to go around pulluting the reef. He probably didnt know that the chemical was cyanide and that it was damaging. Most likely he heard somewhere that this method was used and assumed that it was enviromentally safe.

You could be right.
It just that this is a really touchy subject and people tend to have strong opinions about it.

denny80688

seems to me this thread has been hijacked!
All he did was ask if theres a way to slow them down.. a simple no would work.. As posted before he didnt even know what chemical to use and we already branded him an eco-terrorist... We all know cyanide is bad... well very bad.. so maybe the better question he should ask is how can he speed up?? :D

bang guy

Jeepers you guys are rough. I doubt cskyhawk knew the chemical used was harmful, they didn't even know what it was.
It's easier to inform people and bring them to your side with sugar instead of using vinegar.
Give 'em a break :rolleyes:

cskyhawk

All I can say is wow... never got more than one response a month from a question... although I do intend on bringing back a fish for my tank I don't intend are hurting our wonder full eco system we live in... Alto we all do in a way by just having our tanks...
One person asked "do you have a tank?... with fish, or coral, or rock, or aragonite?
I have a larger tank with a live reef... and several different kinds of fish I have bought online and had mailed to me... which I thought were all druged and after watching a show on tv they used a purple colored liquid to drug the fish in order to catch them... I would never use a chemical that would harm anything...
Sorry for the confusion... however, I say thank you to SNIPE who offered an alternative...
"best way two ppl with a saining net circle around the fish then go over the top and ketch them it would be easier with live fish traps also."
and sammiefish who suggested the dive master...
Any other ideas would be appreciated what are other companies doing 90% of the fish we have in our tanks are from the wild… and if chemicals are not the only way how do people get these fish out with out hurting the reef… and I really don’t know any good DMs in the area. As for the transport… I am not really worried about that I have moved my entire 170g tank and my two smaller tanks about 7 times in the last 4 years so I have a lot of equipment and I have gotten good at it…

flatzboy

WOW! No wonder certain members have left this message board, its nearly impossible to have a civil ON-TOPIC disscusion :nope: . And cskyhawk I would also try a pinfish/bait trap. HTH

sammiefish

just to clarify my previous post...
I think it is fine for someone to capture fish for thier tank.
Attention should be given to local fish and game laws.
In the case of SCUBA a local Divemaster would be a good source of information on how to achieve your objective.
I strongly discourage the use of cyanide or chemicals to capture fish.
Good Luck... let us know how you make out...
AND what part of the keys do you plan to dive... I (or someone else here) may be able to recommend a DM for you to contact... :D