diy 200 gal tank w/ custom stand on feet...need advise!

bethany

haha yeah cheap if you can find it... I bought my 45 gallon tank, stand, canopy for $160 used. I was so excited I wasn't paying $600+ that i bought it on the spot and gave them an extra 25 if they delivered with in 30 minutes..... I had to sand it and stain it mahogany but doint it myself saved me a few hundred.....
I am really excited to build my tank, but someone already quoted me $250-300 for one glass. I also need the back, bottom and sides....That is still roughly 700-800. My lfs has used tanks in storage where i can buy the tank alone for less than a diy tank. I may still have to build the stand but hey it's a hobby right?! :) :rolleyes:

melbournefl

Well as I said, if you really want to build one it's a great fun project. I went with wood on three sides and just the one piece of glass in front for viewing, much cheaper :)
Good Luck,
Paul

bethany

okay... maybe a dumb question.... how do you make a tank out of wood that won't absorb water and eventually leak.. soggy carpets....and burst???? please answer that one... then maybe I but 1 sheet of glass and get my tank even BIGGER:D :D :D :eek:
hey! Now i remember my wall to wall tank when i was little only had front glass.... okay so explaine to me how that is done......

Just keep your eye out there was a store that went out of business where I live and the idiot that ran the store sold a 200 gallon acrilic full with overflow, sump, stand and hood for $500.00. These types of deals are out there if you look hard enough.

you'll have to go to the search engine that garf supplies and type in "diy tanks". then scroll down to "reef aquarium construction" and click in.;)