DIY Auto topoff

andy51632

I am trying to figure out how to make a DIY auto top off for my 75gal tank.Going threw this in my head:
I will need something to store the RO/DI water in, What works well for this?

I will be filling that container manually have my RO tube going to it when I make water.
I will need something to pump the r/o water to my sump, Just a maxi-jet will work
?

I will need some kind of valve to shut off and turn on the water when it gets to a certain point below or above it, What would that be?

Anything else that I would need?

joncat24

google auto top off...
go to *please do not post links to site with advertisments to competitor sites its against board rules. thank you * and check out his diy section

solarscar

Wow, i have a top off unit that has been going strong for 6 months now. It uses nothing mechanical, just gravity. All you need is a container that will allow you to add water to it and then be able to seal the lid on it air tight, then drill a hold at the base, put in a nozzle, attach some quality, pliable hosing and then put it in your sump. Keep in mind the water container has to be above the tank. Let me me find a picture of mine.

wattsupdoc

I had this running for about 6 months, not currently running one but when I do it will be gravity fed like this one.

andy51632

Thanks guys. A auto topoff is a container w/ ro water by your sump. When your water out of your sump evaporates this will replenish it with freshwater so your SG will not raise to high.

joncat24

sorry about the bad post to the other site....thought it was ok to give his site out for diy projects.....
solar----how does your ato work? I am trying to figure it out with the pics and I guess I am braindead or something. could you give a little explanation for the mentally challenged reefers like me>>>lol

ninjamini

Here is what you need to make. $39 each. Put one in your sump and one in a bucket w/ ro water.
ninjagator2000 at yahoo

sleasia

If you can all wait until tomarrow, I'll post pics of my systems on two tanks. I use large rubbermaid trash cans. R/o water goes in through a float valve at the top of the bucket which controls and prevents the bucket from overflowing because when the bucket fills up, the float valve shuts off the water flow from the r/o unit. then at the base of the trash can, I have a r/o size bulkhead with a line to my tank's sump. this line again connects into a float valve in the sump. Water flows by gravity, because the trash cans sit up on tables above the sumps. water flows by gravity from the base of the trash can, through the bulkhead and down the line to the sump. the float valbve in the sump shuts off water flow when the water level in the sump reaches target level. Very easy....$20-$30 trash can and $12-$15 float valves. Auto top off is definately the way to go...makes life so easy. You never have to worry about evaporation, just weekly water changes.

wattsupdoc

Gravity feed ATO's work like this.
A ridgid, airtight container is placed above the water line,filled with RO water. A hose or pipe is run down to the level you want to top off to. When the water drops below the level of the hose or pipe, air can enter the container and allow water to flow out. The water in the container cannot flow from it unless the volume it rel;eases is replaced by something else(air). When the water rise to the level of the hose or pipe, the air is not allowed to enter the conainer and the flow is stopped. This is the principal that water coolers use. It is important that the container have ridgid enough walls to keep the pressure from not collapsing it or water will continue to flow. Diameter of the hose or pipe should be large enough to allow the exchange to occur easily. 3/8 diamater hose is what mine consists of. A water bottle like they use for auto dog waterers and a turkey baster bulb seals it off. These types are virtually fail proof IMO.

joncat24

thanks doc,,,I finally got a good explantion of these systems.
now for the hard part. I want something that will hold at least 10 gallons is there a container off hand you can recommend? I want 10 because my tank evaps about 2 gpd...thanks John

wattsupdoc

I think lowes sells those water cooler jugs filled with RO water,one of 'em i believe is 12 gallons. You could put 1/4 in line off you're RO in the top, with a valve on it and refill it by turning on the valve. You would also need a valve on the output to shut off flow to the sump/fuge as you fill it.

larryndana

how do you attach the hose to the jug? So it won't drip off the side of the jug....
Also would a dosing thing work, like kents aqua doser?

wattsupdoc

I just used a threaded male pipe fitting with a lock ring and some caulk. Then a barb fitting in the male fitting.