DIY bristle worm trap

reefkprz

OK cheap effective and ugly.
8" pvc pipe 3/4 inch or wider two PVC "caps" drill one hole in each end. add bait. (fish food squid haddoc anything thats smells good) submerse near liverock. watch and wait. made mine yester day have removed over 50 bristle worms this way works best at night. I just watch my tank with a red retile bulb so they dont sense the light as well. I watch them climb in. and pull out the trap. I used a piece of fishing line to retrieve the trap so I dont have to reach in every time. I just need to find a way to secure the bait in the center of the trap. becuse I have noticed they will only climb part way in and retreat to the LR when I start to move the trap.
any suggestions on securing the bait would be cool
Thanks people

bojik

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
OK cheap effective and ugly.
8" pvc pipe 3/4 inch or wider two PVC "caps" drill one hole in each end. add bait. (fish food squid haddoc anything thats smells good) submerse near liverock. watch and wait. made mine yester day have removed over 50 bristle worms this way works best at night. I just watch my tank with a red retile bulb so they dont sense the light as well. I watch them climb in. and pull out the trap. I used a piece of fishing line to retrieve the trap so I dont have to reach in every time. I just need to find a way to secure the bait in the center of the trap. becuse I have noticed they will only climb part way in and retreat to the LR when I start to move the trap.
any suggestions on securing the bait would be cool
Thanks people
Try lining the inside of the tube with an old nylon they will get stuck on it. Additionally you can put hte food under that.

reefkprz

Great IDea Bojik! I will try that and post the results as soon as I have some. thanks for the Idea.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by fish-man-t
why trap and kill bristle worms there are good for the tank as long as there under 11 inches?????????
I only remove the large ones I re-release the smaller ones because they are great sand shifters and detritivores. I was just using how many I have caught as a way to show how well it worked. (much to my suprise) I started trapping when I saw one about 14" or so inches eating my brittle star. I wanted him out of pure hatred because I have had that star for over a year and a half.