DIY Calcium Reactor

reefsoe

Im looking to setup a calcium reactor, I wanted some feedback if poosible... I want to build it if possible, a DIY reactor.
Does anyone have plans and a part list that wouldnt mind helping me out
Thanks
ReefSOE

wamp

There are lots out there! I will bump this up in hopes someone who has them saved will post them. I just formatted my drive and lost all mine...

reefsoe

Thanks Wamp!
Does a DIY Reactor work as well? I love the stabalized PH and added calcium. I looked back some posts but couldnt find a complete one with parts and such. I would really like to speak to someone who has made one also.
Thank you all in advance!
ReefSOE

richard rendos

I have made several. They are pretty easy if you have the materials and the right tools. I found that out the hard way. Good plans for DIY reactors can be found here...at least these are the plans I used (then I modified them a little)
http://www.homestead.com/geosreef/reactordiy.html
Good plans, I just wanted quick disconnects and I used hard PVC instead of flex tubing.

wamp

Richard built mine and it worked VERY well. Actually it was a secondary reactor.
The cost, well thats kind of a dificult question. The forst one you build will run you a little more due to tool costs. But once you get all the tools, about 50$ for the materials. PLUS, you'll need, a CO2 bottle, a regulator, and a neddle valve adgustment. Thats where a little more money comes into play.
Calcium reactors ain't cheap. But, their benefits are well worth it.

richard rendos

The last dual chamber calcium reactor I built was 21" tall and made from 4 1/2" diameter acrylic. I used a Mag 2 for circulation and cost a little more because of the quick disconnects. It's total cost for me was around $100.00. (not counting the tools)<p> You need a table saw, or a mitre saw with a carbide blade that is at least 80 tooth with a thin kerf...makes for smoother edges. You will also need a good sander, preferably a belt sander. Along with that, you will need a hole saw, and Weldon 16 or 4 to "glue" it together.

reefsoe

Oh well... there goes my budget... that will probably be in the near future then, I think ill go with an auto dripper and maybe an auto top off. With the Reactor in the near future after the holidays...
Have either of you built a auto drip or topoff?
I've seen plans that simple use an air pump and a few check valves for a doseing system.

isz

i made a post a month or so back about an auto top off, it was really cheap and works really well, just search for my name and you'll find it

I have a question, can some one explain HOW the reactor works ? The diagrams show an input of water. I take it this is "topoff" water stored somewhere. Where/How is the kalk added to the reactor ?
Thanks,
Mike

reefsoe

Is a top off system as simple as it sounds a float switch and a mag drive??
Or use two float switches with one in reverse if the water gets too high to shut it off?

wamp

The calcium reactor takes water from the tank or sump and adds it back. The input comes from a powerhead in the tank and then mixes it with C02 and the media and adds it back at a slow rate.