DIY experts,will this work????

mr . salty

I have made up my mind to do a 10 gallon algae refugium tank instead of a mini reef for now. This will be under the tank in the cabinet next to the sump.My sunp has a tall chamber that I have modified to be full of water with a waterfall type drain back into the pump chamber.This "tall chamber has it's own 3* 4 inch feed. I would like to put this feed line into the refugium,then overflow it into this tall chamber.From there the water follows the old path back to the tank. Here is where the problem starts. A regular overflow will not work between the refugium and the sump because the cabinet is not tall enough to raise the refugium above the sump. So I'm thinking about just running three- 3* 4 inch syphon tubes,NO OVERFLOW BOX. This should work,but it seems too simple. The sump and the refugium will be on the same level. The water in both will be level. Anyone see anything that will make this NOT WORK before I go ahead and try it????

mr . salty

I will not be using a pump to feed this refugium.It will have it's own line from the main overflow at the main tank. This line has already been running in the existing setup,and it is ballanced. so I don't see flooding being a problem.

jimi

Steve, that should work unless, like Seabuzz said, the siphon becomes clogged with something like a snails or chunk of algae. Just make sure your siphon tubes and feed line are anchored solid.

mr . salty

I bought a screen seperator to keep the algae away from the syphon tubes. It separates the last three inches of the tank. I got the water in and seting up the syphon tubes now. Last thing will be switching over the supply line. My fingers are crossed. I'm going to Harbor ******** tommorrow to get a ton of algae to fill it up. How much is too much algae for this thing?? It's a 10 gallon with eight gallons of water in it.

rlv695

Mr. Salty... i see no [problem with the set up your talking... it should work... but make sure the level is ok when power goes off.... so as not to overflow... beside,,, you know what your doing....lol

mr . salty

Well it's hooked up and running. The levels are stable. Fingers still crossed.Next question,do I need a substrate in this tank? and if so what kind is good(sand or CC)???