DIY Fish Food

patrick8929

so im thinking about making my own food, anyone have a cheep and easy way to make my own food? i dont think the frozen brine i am feeding is very nutritious and i would like something that will be really healthy and hardy for me fishy!

arvins

6 shrimp
1 crab leg
1 sole fillet
4 scallops
4 mussels
1 small chopped squid
Chopped Nori
3-4 Drops of Garlic Extract
Throw it all in a small blender for a few mins then put it in sandwich bags and freeze (I use one of the old trays from store bought food put this stuff in those then place it inside a ziploc and freeze)

patrick8929

Originally Posted by Arvins
http:///forum/post/3080908
6 shrimp
1 crab leg
1 sole fillet
4 scallops
4 mussels
1 small chopped squid
Chopped Nori
3-4 Drops of Garlic Extract
Throw it all in a small blender for a few mins then put it in sandwich bags and freeze (I use one of the old trays from store bought food put this stuff in those then place it inside a ziploc and freeze)
fantastic!! thanks so much i think i will do that tomorrow. what about greens? or is just meat meat meat gunna do it?

arvins

I had the seaweed into it for my tang. When it was just the damsel and the clowns I fed that same stuff and they ate it like crazy. My snails even surface to eat at dinner time
all of the critters like it from the fish to the hermits.

locoyo386

http:///forum/post/3080939
I had the seaweed into it for my tang. When it was just the damsel and the clowns I fed that same stuff and they ate it like crazy. My snails even surface to eat at dinner time
all of the critters like it from the fish to the hermits.
What kind of snail was it?

patrick8929

well i have never seen them get anything but for some reason they come out of the sand
its not like they are fast enough to catch the food any ways. i dont really have an explanation for it i just know they do it

arvins

My nass snails surface when I feed the tank, they usually head over to where the food hit the substrate and sit (?) there. I have to assume they are eating this as I have no idea why else they come up when the food goes in, head over the where the food is and hang out there
Of course they are snails so they may be doing something else entirely but its everytime I feed that they surface and head towards the food.

patrick8929

http:///forum/post/3080962
My nass snails surface when I feed the tank, they usually head over to where the food hit the substrate and sit (?) there. I have to assume they are eating this as I have no idea why else they come up when the food goes in, head over the where the food is and hang out there
Of course they are snails so they may be doing something else entirely but its everytime I feed that they surface and head towards the food.
same thing here!
i dont really get it. but thanks for the food idea i will get all that stuff tomorrow! and can i get all of that at kroger?

arvins

Probably, I buy it at Price Cutter
but I just go to the seafood section and ask them for it...be forwarned when you ask for 4 scallops WATCH them closely as they will begin shoveling out 4lbs of it most of the time and you have to start saying no no just 4 pieces not 4lbs! Causes brief confusion at first as I'm sure they aren't used to people just wanting a few pieces of seafood as opposed to a few pounds.

patrick8929

http:///forum/post/3080968
Probably, I buy it at Price Cutter
but I just go to the seafood section and ask them for it...be forwarned when you ask for 4 scallops WATCH them closely as they will begin shoveling out 4lbs of it most of the time and you have to start saying no no just 4 pieces not 4lbs! Causes brief confusion at first as I'm sure they aren't used to people just wanting a few pieces of seafood as opposed to a few pounds.
haha okay thanks for the advice, im actually really excited to do this! how long would you say this will last? with that same amount of everything? with just one fish, and feeding every other day

arvins

Sorry forgot to come back and check here before I crashed last night

That stuff has lasted me almost two months feeding three fish for most of the time and added a Tomini 3 weeks ago so I'd say with one fish, every other day your looking at an easy 3-4 months or longer and here it runs me about..$6 I think

patrick8929

well my mom seems to think that stuff will be very expensive here in kentucky so im gunna have to wait on the home made food till i make a little extra money for myself

arvins

It may run a bit higher there...usually crab legs here run $8 a pound so one crab leg is very cheap. Same with scallops etc. Can also try watching the weekend ads see if they run a seafood sale, for me that stuff is cheaper then buying packaged frozen food but I think it all depends on location with seafood