DIY Hexagon Stand/canopy

dadszx7

Does anybody out there have any plans/thoughts about building a hexagon stand/canopy.
I'm going to be building one for my son's room. And would like to be done with it by March 1st.
Thanks in advance

jsteiert

I have never built one but if I was to build one here is what I would do...
First off I would set the tank on a piece of plywood, trace the shape of the tank. That would be a template for the bottom, repeat the process for your canopy top. depending on how you want it to look you can increase the size of the bottom by 3/4 in on all sides which would allow you to set the piece of wood on top of your sides instead of having your sides butt the bottom.
To figure your angles pick up a angle finder from home depot, then you can determine your angles for all side pieces and cut out on a table saw.
Repeat the process for the canopy. I would assemble the canopy so that the top was hinged or a couple of side pieces were hinged for access to the tank.
Then add trim pieces to make it look nicer.
Stain/Varnish or paint to suit your taste.

bojik

hex = 6 sides 360 divided by 6 = 60 that should be the angles.
EDIT DURR thats if your taking each side as the flat plane to compare each side next to it as being bent up from that point. Thinking backwards again.
Inside angle should be 120.

dadszx7

So, what you're saying the angle should 120 degrees on a mitre saw to make the upper and lower frame of the skeleton of the frame. Right

bojik

Originally Posted by dadszx7
So, what you're saying the angle should 120 degrees on a mitre saw to make the upper and lower frame of the skeleton of the frame. Right

Or 60* depending on which way your cutting it. My advice 120* that way you have the chipouts/burs (if any) on the back side more. Though 60* might be easier for you to hold the piece against the fence better. Either way its the same cut just which way your measuring it. Look at your tank for instance. Take a side figure that as the flat plane your measuring the angle from. If you count degrees up from that point (from out side edge of tank) to the next side you'll have 60*'s If you measure from the inside edge of the side to the next it will be 120. Which adds up to 180 which is a straight line. If you take any two angles from a line with one intersecting it will always add to 180. In the case of an x like formation the two on the same side of the line your using as the base plane. (yay for math) Just make sure your keeping the same side to the fence when making both cuts to make a sorta /________ shape. And make sure your measuring the cuts for those pieces on the wider points. To assemble a good belt clamp might be useful. (depending on how your assembling the frame.) Also you can make the side panels for the stand with a table saw in a similar fashion. If your planning on mitering the edges of them too. If your placing them inside the main top and bottom rings measure their wider point to match the inner width of the rim pieces miter. There are several ways to make the body of a stand . Like this method inner beams in the corners mitered to have a 120 degree on one edge placed inside the rims. With your mitered panels attached to them as well between the rims to help support the tanks weight. Most I've seen used thicker wood for the rims than the panels giving it a nice effect. Somewhat similar in look to those cheap POS mdf stands you buy in stores.
I hope this babbling helps you.