DIY Led lighting

n8ball2013

Has anyone tried this? I have an itch for a project and just so happen to have a small pico tank i could do it on. Im sure the cost would be a bit much but I want to look into it? I know the Solaris light fixtures are out now so it can be done. Mine just wont be so high tech.
So anyone have any tips pointers places to get parts?

silverdak

I am sure people have just please be careful with LED's not approved for marine use, lots of them have big warnings about being around water. I would say to probably stay away from automotive bulbs as they aren't usually rated to be around water.
this is just a bit of advice, do what you want I would just hate to see a tank ruined because of this common oversight

scsinet

WHen I built moonlights for my reef tank, I used Cree 3 watt LEDs. I bought them off that famous site where you bid on stuff. They ship from Hong Kong, but they don't take long to get there and cost something on the order of $15 for a 5 pack if I remember correctly.
I don't know how many you'd need...
I know the Solaris system uses an MCU controller, more than likely with a PWM based control gear to dim the LEDs. They use at least two different colors of LEDS, varying the intensity of each color to achieve different color temperatures.
Those Cree LEDs tend to heat up, and failing to keep them cool can really shorten their life. I run mine off 12v switched with TIP31 darlington power transistors, so I can control them directly with TTL outputs from a microcontroller. I can't remember which resistor I used, but I think it was something like a 220 ohm 5w power resistor on each. I bolted each LED to a small piece of aluminum angle material with some thermal compound and that addresses the heat issues.
I have no idea how advanced in electronics you are, but I bet some programming with a PIC MCU, a serial LCD, and a RTC IC could yield you something similar to the solaris.
I would think your biggest challenges are the lenses, focusing the light in the right direction, and finding LEDs for a decent price that will match the proper color temperature. Solaris certainly isn't going to share what the wavelengths of their LEDs are.

n8ball2013

part of the issue is finding the correct wavelength for the led. you can readily find the 420 and 460 nm wavelength leds to simulate actinic the hard part is finding one for a natural white. I dont plan on doing anything as in depth as a solaris. I'm not an engineer making 200k a yr to design things. I just want something to play with that will look nice and maybe stimulate some soft coral growth. there are a ton of led grow lights for plant growth out there but information on them is very slim. also HO leds have hit the market which i actually believe are used in the solaris fixture. I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot of research on this before I play with it.