DIY live rock

mal

I made some rock about a week ago with portland white cement, and was wondering how long I need to let it cure before I put it in the toilet tank to cure in H2o? Anyone done this before? The rocks turned out really nice, and I don't want to ruin them by curing them in water too soon.

mr . salty

I believe that acidity is the main problem with this kind of rock..So I would get it in water a few days after it has set up.Then test the Ph daily...Also,I never heard of curing it in the toilet.Seems that would #1,be too cold.#2,not salt water,And would ultimatly not"cure" the rock at all.....Unless I'm missing something,it seems a total waste of time too me...I would just put it in a big bucket and cure it as regular rock...

mal

I have read that the concrete rocks will leech out some excess chems for a while. So I thought it would be o.k. to use the toilet tank as there are "constant water changes", ;) then after a week or so, cure it in a tub with saltwater. Just what I have read elsewhere, I have no data to back this up. I'll get it in my regular curing g/can in the morning. Thanks Salty!

dburr

After making mine I kept it moist for 48 hrs.
Then I put mine in a nearby stream for about 8 weeks. 6 would be ok, I wanted to be sure so I left it for 8. You want to use freash water not salt to cure it. If use a bucket, change the water weekly or more. (A toilet)! I hope their's no rust in that tank.
Check the ph after 6 weeks to be sure it is all leached out. good luck

ironreef

Putting it in a stream will pollute the water. Concrete takes 21day for cure. For strength .But it will take @4 days for the chemical heating of it to stop. So after 4 days the toliet is good for @ 4 weeks. Then you but it in a brine or salt solution for a few weeks. This is the best recommended way. The fw rids the elements then the brine cures the ..boy I forget but this is how they do it in big public aqauriums when they use cinder blocks(cement) FW then brine. Remember patients is the key to good reefkeeping. http:/www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6279/RaiseCementRock.html some added reading

mal

Thaks for all the help guys'! I knew I had read that somewhere, just couldn't remember the jist of it.