DIY MH Lighting

cmpowell

Can a mh lighting system be built cheaper than buying a complete hood.I'm attempting to put together a 3 250 mh with 2 110 actinic 72" long but i'm stuck on my list of parts.Could anyone assist me on what i will need to build my project?Thanks:D

jag3365

Hey cmpowell, sorry I can't offer anything, but I would love to know this myself as I want to build a canopy with the same specs for my 125. If you find out some good plans let me know how you set it up. Thnx.

cmpowell

Jag3365 Be glad to help you.What i'm needing help with is how many ballast or is there a way to get 3 ballast in one unit and what kind,also do i need a full length reflector and are the light sockets seperate or already wired to the ballast.I can make the hood( i think) i'm just completely lost on the light parts. :notsure:

jag3365

I know a few of your questions.
You can get three seperate ballasts, 1 for each light if you'd like. Or I have seen through acompany on ---- that has 1 ballast that you can hook up to 3 MH lights. No sure how good it is. This kit also comes with a 72" reflector so you can use that to place both MH and VHo lamps to reflect the entire top. Or you can use 3 seperate spider reflectors, which is the route I am going. I think most of the ballasts and sockets do not come hooked up. So you need to wire them to the ballast, but I am not sure. That's how my VHO came. Hope that helps, and let me know if you're interested in that company on ----, I can e-mail you the info.

memole

hey there... I built a top for my 120. I have 2 250watt MH and two VHOs its quite easy... I bought a MH ballast that controls both lights...Blue wave ballast ( I think) it also has a timer...and I bought 4 end caps an an icecap ballast ( that is capable of running 4 vho's) 2 retro fit MH reflectors with sockets. bought some wood and since mine is a room type divider I put 2 doors on each side for access and all the way to the ceiling with crown molding...as far as plans I made it as I went. here are some pictures I hope this helps. also my retros came all together.(for MH) just screw in the bulbs and plug them into the ballasts the reflectors are just enough for the MH ( 1 reflector per bulb) the ballasts for the VHO's need to be wired but the diagram on it is very very easy to understand. I use VHO's that have the reflectors on 180of it so I don't use reflectors for those. I keep alot of corals and have not had any problems yet...

cmpowell

:yes:Thats what i needed as well.Now when i order the parts for the lights.what will the list consist of as far as how many ballast,sockets reflector and anything else i'm missing.I guess what i'm asking is and this may sound stupid if i phone order what will i tell them i need for the setup.Thanks to both of you for the help :D .Jag3365 my email is cmpowell@iland.net for the ballast info you mentioned.Thanks again Chris

memole

ok here is a list. Of course if you go with three MH you would ask for three retro fits..
Lamp Clip Pair, T12 (1.5" VHO / Std bulbs) holds VHO bulbs
retro fit MH reflectors should come complete with socket and already wired (1 per MH you plan on using and use correct wattage 175...250...400
either they have one ballast that will run all MH which ins the picture of the big blue thing I posted...or you can get one per MH again need correct wattage...
VHO ballast. they have ones that run up to 4 bulbs... thats what I have it comes with all wiring (at least mine did)
correct wattage MH bulbs... I use 10k hamlitons..more yellow. the higher up you go (14k) the bluer the lights the lower the yellower
and I use 03 actinics form URI they have the 180 reflector in the bulb.
Moisture proof end caps for the VHO's and that should be all... I hope it helps. email me if you need the website. I am not sure if I can post it here....
czayfman@tampabay.rr.com
again good luck

cmpowell i just wanted to tell you that 72 inch VHO bulbs are 165 watts, and if you want two, you probably wanna get an icecap 660. It should be able to handle both. You can also go with 3 seperate Icecap ballast which are on sale. GIve me your email and i'll give you the link. You woudl than probably have to buy 3 spider reflectors with 3 10k bulbs. 2 72 inch URI VHo actinics and 3 10's would look great IMO