DIY MH Lights HELP

scarr105

can you buy all the stuff need to make MH retro fit lights on one of the big home stores, if so could someone tell me what I need to look for.
Thanks

db

If your not sure what to look for you are probably better off buying a retro kit on line. You are going to have to buy the appropriate bulb some where else even if they have the appropriate ballast, socket, and you are able to make a reflector. You can find retro kits that are fairly cheap and are pretty much ready to go. It is probably less of a fire hazard as well. I'm not trying to be negative, but give a different perspective on the idea.

scarr105

What do you consider cheap? Because to me 200-250 dollars isn't cheap. I know this is an expensive hobby but it's also a DIY hobby which can save lots of money. I'm looking to get 2 X 250watts 10K for my 55 gallon. I'm pretty good at the DIY stuff so I'm not worried about the hazards that much, I just don't know all the parts I need, If anyone knows of a thread of website that has DIY MH lights please let me know.

oceana

Originally Posted by scarr105
What do you consider cheap? Because to me 200-250 dollars isn't cheap. I know this is an expensive hobby but it's also a DIY hobby which can save lots of money. I'm looking to get 2 X 250watts 10K for my 55 gallon. I'm pretty good at the DIY stuff so I'm not worried about the hazards that much, I just don't know all the parts I need, If anyone knows of a thread of website that has DIY MH lights please let me know.

total cost for a NICE DIY ballst for me is as follows
ballast 44.00 each
reflector socket 25.00 each.
bulbs 82.00 each
wire 60 cents a foot
water proof connections 12.00
474 tax free for a 3x400 MH set up. you can bring that price down quite a bit with cheap bulbs. you can spend less but why bother getting a super cheap ballast that will run a bulb poorly. I have found ballast for 15 bucks each. but IMO you get what you pay for at that point. IF you REALLY want SUPER CHEAP find a item that uses a 250 watt MH ballast. then go out and find used broken thrown out ones and stip them of the ballast.
some times you can call the city in your area and find old street lamps that fit you needs.
for you the cheapest i could build one would be as follows
2 ballast= 88.00
2 XM bulbs =112.00
2 reflectors= 50.00<--bat wings
2 sockets= 15.00
misc wirse and connections= 20.00
so IMO that cheapest you can buld your set up for and still have nice equipment is 285.00.
if you want cheaper then that your going to have a hard time. its hard to set up any lighting for that much without having total crap equipment

oceana

Originally Posted by scarr105
Oceana
Thank you for the information.

no prblem at all. if you decide to build one shoot me an email and i can tell you where i get all my parts. theables@knology.net