diy moonlights

C

cubs89

Hello everyone, I was woundering if 150 ohm resistors would work with these LED lights?Product Description,
Emitted Colour : OCEAN BLUE
Size (mm) : 5mm T1 3/4
Lens Colour : Water Clear
Peak Wave Length (nm) : 465 ~ 470
Forward Voltage (V) : 3.2 ~ 3.8
Reverse Current (uA) : <=30
Luminous Intensity Typ Iv (mcd) : Average in 5000
Life Rating : 100,000 Hours
Viewing Angle : 20 ~ 25 Degree
Absolute Maximum Ratings (Ta=25°C)
Max Power Dissipation : 80mw
Max Continuous Forward Current : 30mA
Max Peak Forward Current : 75mA
Reverse Voltage : 5~6V
Lead Soldering Temperature : 240°C (<5Sec)
Operating Temperature Range : -25°C ~ +85°C
Preservative Temperature Range : -30°C ~ +100°C
Thanx!!!

bigdjp

What are planning to use for the power supply and what is the output voltage of it. That would help determine what size resistor. BTW are these the LED's from Radio Shack? The description sounds the same as the one's I used from Radio Shack and I think I used 68 ohm resistors.

dedwards

I know those aren't typical RS LEDs. RS doesn't sell the 5000mcd leds. 68ohms sounds resonable for a 5vdc powersupply. If you do go larger in voltage you will need to go higher on your resistor.

cubscrew

No, these are not the ones from RadioShack. I found these on the net. I went to 4 different shacks and no one had them. As far as the transformers go... I'm trying to learn how to work with electrical numbers and measurements, so I will write off what the parts say:
Bare with me...
I have 4 transformers that I can use. All 4 have Input - 120V,
60Hz
1st one: Input 6W Output is 7.0VDC 300mA
2nd: Input 9W Output is 6.0VDC 700mA
3rd : Input 9.5W Output 4.5VDC 600mA
4th: Input 6W Output 6.0VDC 250mA
Will any of these work? DEdwards mentioned a 5VDC, but mine are bigger. The resistor would abviously be bigger, like you said, but I just don't want to end up frying myself our eating burned Angelfish for thanksgiving!
Thanks in Advance!

bigdjp

If you have an old Cell Phone charger, they work great. Most only have a 3.9v to 5.0v output. Let me check with my Engineer at work, he can tell me exactly what size resistor you should use for the power supplies you already have.

dedwards

12V = 300 ohm
7V = 150 ohm
6V = 91 ohm
4.5V = 47 ohm
3.9V = 22 ohm
You will need to run these in parallel and solder a resistor onto each positive (longest leg) leg of the LED.

cubscrew

Thanks alot for the response, I think i will using the 6w 7.0v 300ma with the 150 ohm resistor, i will post pic's in a few weeks!!!!:D