DIY Moonlights.

snipe

Hi Im sure this has been thrown around 1000's of times on moon lights. But right now I am trying to figure out if I can convert my 2 23" inch fixtures "normal ouput 18" into moon lights, by using 2 blue bulbs. I am wondering if there is a way to make the normal white bulbs blue or is there blue bulbs out there that I can buy? I am going to get 2 48" jebo fixtures and have roughly 440 watt's of pc and the 2 "15" watt 18" blue fixtures for moon lights.
Is there any way to use my normal fixtures I have as moon lights?

effishient

I'm almost positive there are blue lights out there like you're looking for, but I don't know about using the same light fixtures for them... I only responded cause I'd like to know the answer to your question, too! Any electrician's out there?

effishient

As far as I know, blue light is BLUE LIGHT. I am relatively certain that your fish won't know the difference... unless you're trying to spawn them in which case it MIGHT matter what part of the blue spectrum you are using at night. With respect to corals or other more "sensitive" creatures, I cannot say whether using an actinic bulb will be any different than say just using a blue LED.
Not to change your plan, but have you thought about just buying a separate "moonlight" setup? I've seen some on ---- for I think around $40... it is something like 5 blue LED's that are dimmable and you can arrange them in your hood however you seen fit. Just do a search for "dimmable moon light"

robchuck

The actinic fluorescents would probably be too bright for moonlighting. The dimmable LED kits on ---- are a good deal and put out an appropriate amount of light for moonlighting. Otherwise, DIY moonlighting is the next best option (either LED or low wattage incadescent blue bulbs).

snipe

Well I thought about this And I have looked at them before but I was going to DIY one "it would be less I have to have shipped" but The only way I could use all this is to take everything apart and retro into a canopy. They jebos alone would take up most and only leave about 1/2 and inch in the hood. I am going to pull the jebo lights out of the plastic hood and screw to the canopy and get a moonlight system from that auction site and "it should in theory" fit under there lol.

pyro f/x

IMO led's look better if yo're looking for just the moonlight effect. They produce a focused beam unlike a incandesent.

snipe

I will probly have to go led's just for the fact of the space thing. I may even try using blue rope lights for christmas "or cars" I have some polished aluminume that my dad got at work. I dont know I will just have to try some stuff.

unleashed

if your just looking for a normal blue bulb that immitates moonlight look in the reptile section in you local pet store I know they make a lunar bulb for reptiles.whether just a blue collored bulb lighting will reach the depths of your tank or not I dont know to creat true lunar effects

effishient

Wow, that is a really great picture... and setup with the moonlights... makes me want to go and get the one's I saw on ---- now. :D

J

jfdjason

Just make them....about 90 minutes in time and about 10 bucks in parts.

unleashed

those do look nice I found a guy on ---- that makes set ups for the moonlingts he puts 10 moonlights into a wooden strip im ordering one ill let ya know how they turn out . he list his 48" but not his 72"

snipe

Would blue rope lights be blue enough "without being to blue?" I found some that are $8 local.

snipe

I have polished aluminume my dad got so they would be incased. I dont know I will have to try it.

snipe

I was going to get an 8 foot piece and double it back so it would be 8 foot of rope light in a 4 foot piece "double the blue" But my piece of metal is only gonna be at the most 43" so I dont know what I need to get to double it now lol.