DIY Moonlights.

willcon

These forums are here to help people. exactly what is being done. he was polite enough not to advertise the place, but so many people where interested its being "over run" by emails. how is that a bad thing?

snipe

These forums are here to help people.
Exactly and I didnt get help instead the post was led offtopic.
And if you read the agreement (its all in there) its against (FORUM) rules to reguest a link to another online store. That is why email and PM's are turned off and posting your email to get that link can get you in trouble. And posting links to other online stores can do the same.

hummel

I am also intrested in the question asked since my moon light led just burned out. I believe all that was asked was for a good mcd rating of an led bulb and sounds like he already has a place to buy. So if someone could PLEASE answer the question asked I'm sure there are other ppl that would like to know including me. Sorry to sound a little frustraded but i've been watching this topic since it was posted hoping to have an answer but it's just 40 ppl wanting e-mail :notsure: .
thank's

snipe

I found the best MCD rating to be in the 3000 to 4000 MCD and about a 30 degree angle (to 55 to 75 gallon) If over that then 45 degree angle would be wanted.

thegrog

Originally Posted by Snipe
I found the best MCD rating to be in the 3000 to 4000 MCD and about a 30 degree angle (to 55 to 75 gallon) If over that then 45 degree angle would be wanted.
OK, to get back on topic, wide angle (100 degrees) is far superior than the traditional angle LEDs. Works even better with a light diffuser on it.
Since a pic is worth a thousand words, here is a comparison.

snipe

The one on the left looks like a 15 or even 10 degree angle (these work really well for spot lighting a certain coral or something) And the 100+ degree would be to mutch as you would get flood over and it would make your floor look blue lol. Thats why I said 30 degree as it wouldnt have mutch spill over onto the floor.

thegrog

The wide angle I found covers a 2'x2' area when it is approx 30" above the bottom of the tank. With my tank being 24" wide, there is virtually no spillover. Place it slightly rear of center over the tank, and there is no spillover whatsoever. With only three of these, my entire 125 tank is evenly illuminated (and not the rest of the room).

funkyman

I ordered the 3 light set, even though my tank will only be 48" wide. I figured I could dim them if it was too much. Better too much than not enough.

thegrog

Originally Posted by funkyman
I ordered the 3 light set, even though my tank will only be 48" wide. I figured I could dim them if it was too much. Better too much than not enough.

You could also angle the outside ones towards the middle. Might create a cool effect.

moonlight1

I sell a DIY Moonlight Kit for $14 Shipped anywhere in the US. Here Is some info on it:
This kit comes with 10 LEDs 10 resistors an EASY to follow schematic & the power supply! I have them on both of my tanks and they look awesome! all you need is a soldergun some solder and some wire "speaker wire works great." These LEDs are 4000mcd and 470nm which closely matches the wavelength of the moon. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Im selling these Kits for 11.00 + 3.00 shipping in the US. If your interested email me at jimmy_w64@yahoo.com