DIY PAR38 fixture

gio28

So, I've finally found a way to mount my PAR38 bulb over my tank so it doesn't look like crap. it only cost me $15!
I'm making this thread in order to get opinions on my build and help those who need a good way to mount their PAR bulbs.
I used:
-conduit
-a 1" PVC coupling (used to house the socket and wires)
-1/2" endcap for the end of the conduit
-1/2" conduit straps
-a light socket
-an extension cord
-spray paint (my parents had to buy this...because apparently minors aren't allowed to. *sigh*...I planned on using the rest to vandalize things...)
-a 3/4" drill bit
-a conduit bender (or you can be like me and use one in the store and put it back ...saves $50 and makes people awkwardly watch you )
-wire nuts
-nuts and screws for the straps -masking tape
-epoxy, or something similar
half of these things most people already have. so the fixture can be done for super cheap! I roughly assembled all the pieces and I am quite pleased with the outcome...it looks so much better than my PVC fixture I made before...
drilled 1" PVC coupling. the hole is 3/4" on both sides.

sanded and spray painted black.

added it to the painted conduit...

marked to cut off the excess conduit...

end cap to keep it lookin' classy ;)

spray painted the light socket so it's the same type of black as the rest of the fixture

stripped extension cord

more pictures to come once I'm all done...still gotta cut the conduit down to size and put all the pieces together. I'll show all the steps needed to assemble it :)

spanko

So how are lamps normally grounded? Aren't the power cords usually only two wires like pictures?

scsinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio28 http:///forum/thread/387244/diy-par38-fixture#post_3405932
Actually, I never even thought about grounding it, but I will now haha. thanks guys
and I dunno SCSI, ground wire sounds like it could be used to strangle someone

If it's metal, has anything to do with electricity, and is located wtihin 500 miles of a saltwater tank, it should be grounded.
I think in light of your last remark I should probably have my boss lock up the spool of grounding wire sitting in my office at work... for everyone's safety.

mr. limpid

You guys made me think, I hate that when it happens. There are a few items that do not have ground wires that are in our tanks, heaters, power heads and the sump water pump. The only thing that has a grounded plug is the light fixture. Now I feel like Andy Rooney why is that?

1guydude

just got my rapids par bulb today...i love the color and its a bit cheaper than the ecoexotics...the ecoexotics are a bit lighter in weight but wth!

snakeblitz33

Even though some fixtures aren't grounded or come with three prong plug ins, It's better to have a GFCI Unit installed for your power outlet. If there is any abnormalities in the amount of electricity being drawn, it will automatically cut the electricity off. You should have a GFCI unit in your bathroom(s) and in your kitchen(s) if it is a new house or has had a remodel. It's really easy to replace a power outlet with a GFCI Unit, but you may feel more comfortable letting a professional do it.
If one is really concerned about excessive electricity in the tank, you can buy a titanium grounding probe online.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///forum/thread/387244/diy-par38-fixture#post_3406366
You guys made me think, I hate that when it happens. There are a few items that do not have ground wires that are in our tanks, heaters, power heads and the sump water pump. The only thing that has a grounded plug is the light fixture. Now I feel like Andy Rooney why is that?