diy protein skimmers

saltyh20

How would one go about aking a diy protein skimmer and if that is too dificult for the average collector than what is a quality skimmer for a good price??? thanks:confused:

wamp

It takes some knowhow to build a skimmer.. Not a whole lot, I mean Rendos builds his own and well, he ain't the shapest tool in the shed:)
Seriously though, if it were me, I would purchase my first one and study it. Find some good sites on the subject and study them. There are lots of plans out there but they all require some acrylic tools and a little knowhow. Once you've been in the hobby for a while you'll pick up on rigging stuff to work very quickly!!!
Depends on the size tnak as far as price and a good brand. Also rathe you have a sump or not plays a part in it too.

saltyh20

well I have a 55 gal tank with a fluval canister. I don't think that, that is what you are reffering to when you speak of a sump. My tank right now is a FOWLR although possibly adding some inverts and polyps. The skimmer that I have now is a prism and it is not running b/c I don't like it. Too loud and doesn't remove a whole heck of a lot. I do have a deep cc bed. Any info appreciated. Thanks for your help.

surfnturf

Check your impeller in the Prizm, you probably have a 12 blade. They switched to an 18 blade impeller which made the unit quieter and also increased performance. Contact Red Sea and ask them to send you an 18 blade impeller. The Prizm (18 blade) does a good job, but I'd say that 55 gal. would be the max tank size I'd use one on. DIY skimmers are not difficult, and can be made with white PVC instead of acrylic. As long as you understand what makes them work (and what doesn't) you can build a good one, but you will need a sump first, unless you want the skimmer to be about 4 feet tall or so, the top would have to be 4-6 inches taller than your water level in the tank.