DIY refug out of a 10 gallon?

suver569

Im sure people have done it, but i'm just curious on how easy it would be to make a refug out of a 10 gallon aquarium?
I have a local plastic's dealer a few miles away from my house that I can pick up any plexiglass supplies, and a home depot close by where i can pick up any plumbing needed.
Also, any chance a magnum hot 250 will be strong enough to use as a water pump?
Thanks in advance.

shanev

Its really easy to do, if your using it just as a fuge you just need an overflow box to bring water down to it, put in a acrylic panel to seperate the return pump from the sand and return to the tank.

reefnut

Well I wouldn't recommend a wet/dry filter but a sump could be nice to have. As Shane said it's pretty easy. Do a search for fuge and you should get some good info.

suver569

I think i've pretty much figured it out. This will be my first fuge attempt.
Only question I think I have is about the pump. Any chances at using a HOT magnum 250 for means of pumping or should I (and I already think I know your going to say) invest in a real pump?

suver569

Oh nm, just read that the hot mag is only 250 gph. No chance that would be able to pump from underneath my stand up 4+ feet back to the tank.

jumpfrog

I tried using a 10 gallon with plastic partitions a while back. The problem I had was finding the right size return pump. Too small and you loose siphon in a hang on overflow. To large and you have a high flow through the fuge (not good) and the turbulence creates buku bubbles.
I never could get it tuned so I just gave up and dismantled the thing. If I were to try again it would be with a 20 gallon tank. But I can't get it in my stand without dismantling the whole system.
Just thought I would share my experience. Good Luck!

suver569

Well, I'm in the process of using a 10 gallon now. The plastic is pretty cheap. I spent 6 bucks for 2 sheets of pretty high grade stuff, enough to do the whole refug and maybe build an overflow. If this doesnt work perfectly, I'm out maybe 10 bucks for the plastic and silicone. The tank I got from a friend for free. Might use a 20 gallon if this doesnt work right.

suver569

gonna go pick up a pump today. Any suggestions? Kinda on a budget though. Oh yea, 4' of lift and there will be 2 times I have to put a 90 degree turn on the return.
Also, any reason I couldnt use a submersible pump?
SD 50018 Supreme Mag-Drive Utility Pump
Flow Rate: 500-gph. Shut off 10.5'. 0.8 amps. 45 watts. 1/2" FIPT threaded intake and 1/2" MIPT threaded discharge. Block foam pre-filter included. Can be used submersible or in-line. 18 ft. cord. 3 year manufacturer warranty.
Like that one for instance? Well....Just read that @ 3', it will put out 380 gph, @ 6', only 180 gph. Might be a little shy for a 55 gallon.
Maybe the next model up? the 700 gph?

suver569

I probably will wind up going with the mag 7. I've seen alot of people using it on these boards.. that must say something.
A LFS has it for 55 bucks +tax, that seems pretty fair to me.

suver569

lol lurch. I saw your post, and I'm debating on what to do still. I wouldnt mind getting the bigger pump due to the fact that I'm sure I will be getting a bigger tank in the near future. A ball valve definately would help out.