DIY Refugium??

9supratt4

Originally Posted by Tarball
So you are going to skip the rubbermaid tank & just use the 15 gallon glass tank?
Whats the gph of overflow. That should suggest the return pump flow.
No...I Still want to use the rubbermaid because it is the only thing that I can find to fit under the stand.
I'm not sure what the gph of the overflow is.....I bout the overflow and sump used and he couldn't remember and there are not any markings. Any way to figure that out?

tarball

Originally Posted by 9supratt4
No...I Still want to use the rubbermaid because it is the only thing that I can find to fit under the stand.
I'm not sure what the gph of the overflow is.....I bout the overflow and sump used and he couldn't remember and there are not any markings. Any way to figure that out?

Rule of thumb is turn the DT over 6 to 10 times per hour thru sump/refugium.
I turn my 55g over 8 times per hr thru sump, then another 7x per hr thru canister filter. I also have 2 power heads that turn the tank over 8xs.... all in all=23x per hr.

9supratt4

Originally Posted by Tarball
Rule of thumb is turn the DT over 6 to 10 times per hour thru sump/refugium.
I turn my 55g over 8 times per hr thru sump, then another 7x per hr thru canister filter. I also have 2 power heads that turn the tank over 8xs.... all in all=23x per hr.
That....I am aware of. But unfortunately I don't know how many gph the Overflow into the sump is. Any way to figure that out?

fishfreak1242

What are the basic materials needed to make a refugium? So far what I am planning on getting for the refug. im going to make are:
- An overflow box
- A old 20 gal tank
- Some tubing
- A 300 gph powerhead
- Refugium Mineral Mud
- Live rock
Does that sound good?

wattsupdoc

If you looked through the whole thread, you'd see that it is a setup just like you are doing, but nevermind.

9supratt4

Originally Posted by blcard
Mine uses a small pump to pump water from the sump to the fuge, then the fuge has a bulkhead with pvc back to the sump. Very easy, cheap, and no worry of overflowing the fuge.
Pic:
http://s270.beta.photobucket.com/user/blcard/media/Tank/My%20125/100_3222.jpg.html
may be hard to see but the fuge is all the way to the right, sump in the middle.
That's kind of what I had in mind, but the problem is I don't have enough room under the stand in order to get the pvc from the fuge above the water level in the sump.

tarball

Originally Posted by 9supratt4
That....I am aware of. But unfortunately I don't know how many gph the Overflow into the sump is. Any way to figure that out?

I don't know for sure, but I would guess the overflow box which takes a 1in bulkhead fitting to sump is 600 gallon plus.
If 3/4 bulkhead fitting to sump is 500 gallons or less.
My overflow has 1in bulkhead fitting to sump & its rated 750gph.