DIY rock.

sleasia

sorry myway...i was busy with the kids all day and did not see this...here are pics of the first batch. I have alot more to make...

dieselndix

MYWAY
the 3hr comment....
My roomate is an Aquaculturist and we measured the PH absorbtion time. If you have a kiddie pool, then yes, obviously more water volume would increase the amount of PH that can be "absorbed"
Just as a measure for all though.....40lbs of rock, in a 50gallon rubbermaid. Had a 3 hour threshold for the first week! That is just to let you all know, that once a day water changes are not the most efficient way to reduce ph.
...and, on the past....I have never had a rock break due to pasta swells, and depending on your tank inhabitents...the past tunnels are very cool. but, also, try halfway inflating a rubber glove and making a rock mold around it...you get an AWESOME cave doing that.

sleasia

myway...that rubber glove idea sounds great...definately going to try that...maybe tomarrow...I'm tied up tonight helping with home work...the high school "heritage" project....digging up photos, letters etc. for my daughter. I tried telling her she was a leprachaun, (spell?) :thinking: but she didn't buy it....

royalgamma

I have done this also and I put the rock in my tank after 6 weeks and didn't have any problems. I only kept about 3 or 4 peices ( I didn't like the look of a ton of rock ) I blew up ballons molded around then then when dried just popped them. I tried both was to make it 1. With sand molds 2. Mix it up and let it stand for a hour then mold it on a plank of plywood.
I used to mix portland cement, oyster shells, and plastic shreads ( work in injection molding so I tried it, coriline grows faster on plastic supposedly ) I have also put in pvc pipes in the bottoms for smaller fish to hid in . hope some of this helps...here are some pics.

royalgamma

Also I tried using cut up peices of straws for a batch...here are some pics in the tank ....no coriline growth yet but the color has changed due to algee growth. The first pic the DIY rock is on the left. The 2nd pic the rock is in the back ground . And the last pic was when it first went in you can tell its the grey colored rock.

sleasia

oops it was dieselndix who mentioned the rubber glove idea...sorry, I must have been too tired to notice who wrote what.

royalgamma

a quick updat ...I've had some of the DYI in the tank for about a month or so.... I think :thinking: ...and I'm starting to get some green and purple corline growth finally...... :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: