DIY Skimmer?

overanalyzer

OK after looking at skimmers it seems liek they should be pretty easy to manufacture your own. I know someone out there on this board has done it - how easy/hard is it? any plans and any how to's??
Any pictures or links to websites would be appreciated!!
If need be e-mail me @ hilscher@kc.rr.com

overanalyzer

Very kewl - thanks for hte sites.. World's ugliest seems like it is easily do-able .... much large than I wanted though .... hmmm may design something on a smller scale of similar design ...

bklynz00

How are ya.. I seen this post and descided to send a pic of my DIY skimmer... I'am almost done. What left with this skimmer is the base, which is the easiest. And the holes for the nipples (air line and waste. Hope that it all works, its my first.

richard rendos

I have made a few designed after the ETSS, but with venturi's instaed of downdraft tubes. They are really easy to make. Here is a picture of one in the process... the bulkhead has a gate vlave attached for controlling water level inside the skimmer, and the hole on the left is where the venturi valve is installed. I have had this one on my 54 gallon tank for over a year now...works great.

bklynz00

Hey Richard....
That Skimmer in progress really looks nice, even in the incomplete mode.. Maybe I'll try one like that next. Just that I wanted to make my first for my "In-sump" because I dont have to many options with my Amircale wet dry system. Space there is very tight !!

texasstone5

US Plastics (Lima Ohio) sells acrylic tube and glues, if you decide on clear material. I highly recommend them.
I have built skimmers using acrylic tube, and the one I use now is a couple of decades old (simple tube with cup on top powered by a wooden airstone). They are not hard to fabricate with regular woodshop tools, although special plastic blades work a lot better if you are making a lot of cuts. The thickened acrylic cement works best, as the thin set cement requires a very exact joint.
Please give my regards to the Kansas City Marine Aquarium Club, if they are still around.

overanalyzer

texasstone - thanks forthe info - KC MarineAquaria club is around but have not gone to any meetings - wife - 2 kids - full time work - and poor timing .... :(
could you post a pic of your simple skimmer?

texasstone5

I hope you can see this picture. This old skimmer was originally about 3 ft tall, and sat beside a 29 gallon reef tank. I cut it down and repaired it recently to fit inside of this cabinet (it had developed a leak at the base after several household moves). I use a wooden airstone in this skimmer, although it has been out fitted with a venturi in the past.
The input and output are through bulkheads, which are tough but a little expensive. Hose is attached via hose barbs. The white PE container behind the skimmer is a trickle filter and sump, so the skimmer is plumbed to drain into this container (an odd arrangement, but very cheap to build)
I originally biult the skimmer to run ozone, so the top of the cup is sealed with an o-ring to vent excess ozone through a carbon trap. I don't run ozone in my skimmer any more, so the trap is gone. The cup drains into a plastic cup for disposal. You might see some brown gunk acumulated near the top of the foam. It is difficult to clean because of the small space inside of the cabinet and the fact the top is not removable. As you know, accumulations in the skimmer body reduce skimming efficacy so skimmers should be easy to clean.
Good luck with your project, and feel free to email me if you have any more questions.
P.S I used to live in Olathe.

bklynz00

Originally posted by bklynz00
How are ya.. I seen this post and descided to send a pic of my DIY skimmer... I'am almost done. What left with this skimmer is the base, which is the easiest. And the holes for the nipples (air line and waste. Hope that it all works, its my first.

Well folks as an update.. I finished the skimmer and it has been about 3days now its been running and its "WONDERFUL" see new pic. of it in sump. Good luck to all !
Notice the nice foam forming in collection cup !! Great