DIY Sump Questions

dacia

When I move into my 75 gallon tank, I plan on redoing my sump completely. In the stand, I have room for a 30 gallon tank to use for the sump/fuge. The tank has built-in overflows. I plan on plumbing the larger of the holes to the sump/fuge and splitting it with a T so that it drains on both ends of the 30 gallon tank. Then I will have a set of baffles going into the skimmer section and fuge section with more baffles leading into a common middle area where the return pump will be located. The return pump will send water back through the overflow in the smaller of the pre-drilled holes to the DT.
I haven't completely decided on a skimmer, but I am leaning heavily towards the MSX 160. It needs between 8 and 10 inches of water, so I was planning on making the baffles from the base of the sump/fuge 9 inches tall.
The sets of baffles going from the drains to the skimmer and fuge sections will have eggcrate between them so I can place filter pads (1 foam pad and the other some phoso bags or carbon bags) on them.
Each drain section will be approximately 2 inches wide with about 5 inches for the return pump leaving 9 inches for the skimmer (the footprint is 8x10 and that leaves a 9x12 space for it) with 12 inches for the fuge.
I basically just have a couple of questions---
1. How far from the base of the tank should I make the baffles that extend downwards from the top?
2. I am correct in saying that the height of the lower baffles should be 9 inches so that the skimmer works properly, aren't I?
3. And basically...does this appear to be a good set-up??? What changes would you make?
Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!!!

phoenix73

I'm new at this as well. I just ordered 3/8" acrylic to make a 48" x 18" x 20" setup very similar. After my research on the subject and looking at many many refugiums, I think that I would make a couple of changes... but I would wait to hear from the experts.
I am not putting my baffles all the way to the top of the tank, just in case of an overflow. I want the entire extra volume of the tank available if there is too much water. Secondly, I added a 3rd baffle from the bottom on the skimmer side as a bubble trap. I don't know if it's necessary, but many of the models have them.
I am also making my refugium wall 2" higher than the other walls to allow a slower water flow via diverting the return pump partially through the refugium.
The height of the skimmer can be adjusted easily enough by raising or lowering the skimmer on acrylic, but every skimmer is different.
That's all the comments that I can make, but I'm going to follow your progress since my project will be starting soon. Good luck!

dacia

OK, our planning stage is normally just trial and error until we get it right...
So I have researched A LOT all over the place and have come up with a different design that I am confident will work great...but I wanted to post it here and (hopefully) get some responses on what you think of it. IGNORE THE FIRST DRAWING. CRITIQUE THIS ONE:

J

jd_75g

That's the design I went with. You probably have already thought of this, but make sure you design skimmer chamber to accommodate skimmer footprint. I made mine small, so skimmer selection is limited.

phoenix73

That's exactly what I went with as well.
The only modification that I made was a channel in the front of the refugium at the same level as the return chamber so that I can play with some frags.
I would ask others if going to 15" on the refugium with 1/4" inch is OK. I've heard some people say that you need thicker stuff to have that much depth of water, but what do I know.

dacia

Thanks for your input everyone. I will shorten the last baffle to about 12" or so now I think about it. I want more room for water just in case the pump stops working. I will get to work on this as soon as I can!