DIY sump refuge vs premade sump refuge

vt4lifecuf

I want to know which one is the best for the money and performance. If the DIY sump refuge is the best bet, can some one please help me with a sump design.
Thanks

fallinapart

DIY will be cheaper, :) but you still need to install baffels and build it the way you like with a container of your choice, anything from smaller tanks that might fit under you stand (what most people do) to large plastic trash cans. Up to you. For more ideas go to melevsreef.com and start reading. Good Luck it was a fun project for me and between melevsreef and a good search engine, there is pleanty of ideas out there.
Norman

snakeblitz33

Doing it yourself will give you more flexibility on what you want. Though, there are tons of pre made sump designs out there. There are benefits for both.
DIY: You can choose your container, I.E. rubbermaid tubs, aquariums, acrylic, etc. This will give you complete control over where your filters, protein skimmer, fuge, etc. will be located. You can custom design everything to your liking. If you build a sump, it can be cheaper, but not by much. You'll end up spending a lot of time building your first one instead of setting up your main display tank. If you choose rubbermaids, you can use a bulkhead system where you can have a large sump, a medium sized refugium, etc. You can really get some nice customization going.
Pre made sumps tend to not give you as much flexibility. You have to get a protein skimmer that fits the sump that you bought, whereas if you build your own sump you can see how big your skimmer will be and you can create the compartment to fit it. Pre made sumps come with a ton of stuff though. You get bioballs, bulkheads, filter, trays, etc.
It's really your choice. Let us know, maybe some of us here can help.
Edit: It's really hard for beginners or for people who are not very good at DIY stuff should not attempt to create their own sumps.

al mc

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
Edit: It's really hard for beginners or for people who are not very good at DIY stuff should not attempt to create their own sumps.

I agree. If you like to build things it is actually fun and you can save money. If you are not up for a small challenge and a little frustration then buy a premade one

vt4lifecuf

i think i will DIY sump/refuge. Planning to buy octopus skimmer nw 110 is good enough for a 90g or the 2x higher rate nw-150?

rylan1

You could buy a 30-40 gallon tank. Go to local craft or hardware store and buy acrylic pieces to fit. - much cheaper. probably less than $100