DIY SUMP / refugium

reef champ

I'm looking to build a sump with a diy overflow box... In the sump I want to be able to put my heater and a protein skimmer and I also want to have a section for a refugium... My tank is a 30g reef and I'm wondering if anyone has any designs / size recommendations

2quills

Melevs Reef. com is an excellent site for researching sump designs...it also has alot of information about the funtion of sumps as well as some do's and dont's. It was very helpful to me when researching my own sump design. You could also do some web searches as well as check out videos on u-tube to see what other folks have done.
Typically for sumps I would try to go with something from 1/3 - 1/2 the size of your display tank.
Hope this helps.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by 2Quills
http:///forum/post/3288402
Melevs Reef. com is an excellent site for researching sump designs...it also has alot of information about the funtion of sumps as well as some do's and dont's. It was very helpful to me when researching my own sump design. You could also do some web searches as well as check out videos on u-tube to see what other folks have done.
Typically for sumps I would try to go with something from 1/3 - 1/2 the size of your display tank.
Hope this helps.

reef champ

Honestly I think I'm just going to buy a hang on overflow box... unless anyone has a reliable source for a DIY hang on the back overflow box... also what kind of water movement am I going to want for a 30g tank, I'm looking to have a 10g sump. I'm most confused about the plumbing does anyone have like a step by step guide to plumbing an overflow to sump to return pump back to the tank?
Been doing a lot of research but still very confused

2quills

I've seen a few sites of some folks building their own out of acrylic but I'd have to search again to find them. There has been quite a few people who have made overflows just out of pvc pipe that also work. Personally, I was going to go the overflow route before with my tank but then decided to drill it instead. Drilling is way more reliable and there's less of a chance of flooding a tank or sump when properly set up. You can do a search on u-tube for diy overflows and should pull up several videos.
The plumbing is really going to depend on which way you want to go. You can hard plumb or use flex pipe, it's all a matter of personal choice. If there are going to be a lot of bends then flex pipe is good in illiminating alot of that resistance. On my build I'm going to hard plumb my drain lines and they will just drop right into the sump. And on my return line I will use flex pipe connected from my return pump up to my return fittings in the tank that are connected via a bulkhead that I install in the tank, also through drilling. But you could also just pick up a return tube that hangs over the back of the tank that connects to the return line.

acrylic51

I've built my own overflow boxes in the past....super easy to do.....You can buy the "U" tubes online to finish it off.....I have a acrylic bender/heater, but no luck bending acrylic tubing.......