DIY tank stand

cmatt3

I am not familiar with many wood working tools. I am planning on making my stand and would like an idea of what tools I should have before hand. I will have a power saw, and drill, but what else do I need? What do you use to cut an open square in plywood? Whats the secret to make nice looking doors and molding? Thanks for the help and all the ideas for design I have pieced together from you all.

nrage

Originally Posted by bigtyguyy
maybe kinda late but these pics may help! All the wood is screwed and glued together with construction glue. That tank above is pretty nice and the wood work looks great!

WOW! Great Minds think alike...almost Identical to the inner frame design i came up with for my 60. I ended up making mine large enough that it will accomodate a larger tank down the road, but this type design is VERY stable....

cmatt3

nrage, could you post a pic of your stand and tank? I am thinking of making my stand the the 75 a little larger to fit a 55 sump/fuge under it and have been wondering what it would look like on a little larger stand (all the pics I can find have about 1/2" molding edges on them around the tank and mine will likely be closer to 2")
Thanks

moorea2

Just finished my stand a couple of weeks ago and wanted to throw it in to add a different look entirely to this thread. I am very proud of it.

bigtyguyy

that is the craziest stand i have ever seen and i love it.. it would look amazing at my lake house that is a post and beem house.. that wood stand would look awesome there! GREAT JOB! post some of your pictures on my thread with my stand! i love your wood work!

moorea2

Thanks....
It goes really nicely in our log cabin! The hood for lighting will be completed in a few days!
I'm going to take some more pics soon and would be happy to post them on your thread!
My husband and brother own a log furniture company that I usually do not get involved with, but I am most proud of this piece as I designed it myself and actually got my hands dirty and assisted with the building.

N

n_sarno

Originally Posted by Juddster
do a google search for garf there are very good plans for building a stand. you enter the size you need and it will customize one for you. good luck!

I cant find the site.. Can you email me it at N_Sarno@sbcglobal.net