DIY tank

nanomantis

has anyone actually built their own tank, i am planning on building a 2.5 gal pico and its apropriate sump/refugium, i went to the HD and i found a sheet of .22 in in diameter acrylic, i was planning on using the score and snap method to get this to the right dimensions i need for the walls bottem and the rest of the tank. My question is what is the best acrylic cement for bonding the walls together and the other major joints. Also what tools would i need for the glueing job, how do i make it come out clean and neat?

boatbuilde

built a 20 gal sump/'fuge from 1/4" plexiglass. used weld-on #16 thickened acrylic cement.
http://www.ipscorp.com/industrial/index.shtml
I dont think score and snap will give you good glue edges, could be wrong though.
I used my table saw with a fine tooth, thin kerf cross cut blade. scraped the edges with a utility knife blade to get them really smooth. used some framing squares to help hold panes in place while gluing. By no means does it look factory good but did come out better than most diy jobs I have seen. also made a diy Beckett downdraft skimmer that works great but the glue joints are sorta sloppy. I blame that on my choice of frosty beverage that evening

P

phishface

Why does everyone blame the beverages?!!???! J/K BEER GOOD. :happyfish

nanomantis

Originally Posted by boatbuilde
built a 20 gal sump/'fuge from 1/4" plexiglass. used weld-on #16 thickened acrylic cement.
http://www.ipscorp.com/industrial/index.shtml
I dont think score and snap will give you good glue edges, could be wrong though.
I used my table saw with a fine tooth, thin kerf cross cut blade. scraped the edges with a utility knife blade to get them really smooth. used some framing squares to help hold panes in place while gluing. By no means does it look factory good but did come out better than most diy jobs I have seen. also made a diy Beckett downdraft skimmer that works great but the glue joints are sorta sloppy. I blame that on my choice of frosty beverage that evening

can i get this cement at the HD? or is it something i need to order off the internet

boatbuilde

no HD in my section of the swamp so I donr know, but I do know Lowe's does not carry acrylic cement.
I got mine from a local glass shop. I have seen it on E-bay in the past

turningtim

You'll need to get IPS weld on #4 and #16. Yes it works great I've built several small sumps and overflows. You may want to try getting scrap/cutoffs from your local acrylic dealer, much cheaper and better quaility then HD or Lowes and they will have the weld-on. Get some syringe applicators too. well worth the couple bucks. Use a saw to cut pcs to size and sand with 150/180 grit paper and good to go.
HTH
Tim

nanomantis

Originally Posted by TurningTim
You'll need to get IPS weld on #4 and #16.
why would i need both #4 and #16 what are their different applications?

turningtim

The #4 is water thin and is drawn in to the joint. This actually welds the joint together. I use this first. Then I use #16 which is fairly thick and run a filet in the corners of the joint to make sure its sealed and water tight. I'm not a pro at acrylic so I just prefer to be safe then sorry. the weld-on is not that expensive and either are the applicators. Again the #16 just makes me feel better.
I have some pics of what I've done, just gotta find them.......
HTH
Tim

turningtim

Originally Posted by psusocr1
i agree, tim does some great work with acrylic, dont let him fool you

Oh come on Bobby! Everybody around here knows I don't have a clue what I'm talking about!

scsinet

Agree with Tim on that... #3 or #4 will give you a much better joint because they don't leave behind a chunky residue, and in a display tank, edges are critical, but you need to be VERY careful that your edges are very true. I use a table saw with a thin kerf laminate blade to cut acrylic.
No local home improvement megalo mart will carry it. Get it online. Tap Plastics (search it out) has it, best price I've seen. Also get yourself a plasticator from US Plastics to apply it. If you search around on the Internet, there are some guys that run some really informative sites on DIYing with acrylic.

turningtim

Can't find the pics of my OF but heres a set of tanks I made for a friend with a 120 tall. 2 tanks made from 1/4" acrylic at 22 gals each. I believe there are 26"L x 16"W x 12" D. Didn't have a lot of room under a 48" stand so we stacked the sump/fuge.