do actinics promote algae also?

gerry45

I have a lot of green algae growing on almost everything in my 2 month old 75 gallon.
I have 40 lbs base rock and 40 lbs live rock and 8 small fish.
the glass,substrate,and rock all have a layer of fine green algae.
I have 2x 56 watt t5 10,000k and 2x 56 watt t5 actinic with separate reflectors.
I have actinics coming on at 9 am,daylights at 10 am.
daylights off at 10 pm and actinics off at 11 pm.
I feed fish mainly flake food once per evening,i soak food and then put it in so it sinks into water.
what can I do to slow algae? ammonia is at lowest reading on test chart, o.1 I think.

jgbryan02

You need to cut down on the amount of time your lights are on especially the 10k bulbs,
I only run mine for a max of 8 hours, that will help cut down on the algae growth.

fishieness

the lower the K, the better the algae grows.
you amonia should be lower also. try feeding less and get a skimmer
is your tank in the sun?
and yes, i nominate you have you lights on for less.

gerry45

ok,will try those ideas.
maybe actinics 10 till noon and actinics and daylights till 8 and just actinics till 11 pm?
I have a skimmer and lots of wet green gunk comes out.
will start feeding every second day,hope that is enough.

chipmaker

Actinics do not really support the growth of algae....
I have to think its more of your length of time the lights are on.
I had algae on time that wa getting to be a problem. My lfs told me that its good to put the actinic portion of say a 50/50 type bulb towards the glass, or put actinic bulb in multiple bulb fixtures to the front glass......as its spectrum does not promote algae growth. I tried it, and it seeme to have an affect on my problems at that time. I have since started to put actinics (or at least one of them) towards the front glass anymore......Have not had an algae problem in a long long time.