do cleaner shrimp have a taste for clams?

peckhead

and you can also see on the left side where the mantle ends and thats it, no more tissue on that side, thats why you can see though the incurrent syphon. will this regrow with good water params?

yosemite sam

This may be a pain, but can you tank a picture from the other direction, from the bottom of the clam? I can't tell from the tank if the flesh is torn or if it's just the byssal gland that is open.
Also, do you have a sump you can put the shrimp in?

peckhead

i could put the shrimp in the sump or qt but they didnt do this to the clam, i cant really get a picture from a different angel. can you see the hole? i can see all the way through it. the mantle is prefectly fine. its the side of the clam, i guess you can call it flesh, that is missing

peckhead

ok look at this picture, see where the mantle would normally be? now picture the shell closed, see the part on the side of the shell where when closed, both shells would not be touching each other? that is where im missing tissue or flesh or something

yosemite sam

I know what you're talking about, but there is a natural hole there, too. It's called the byssal opening. I've seen through my clams before, too, so it could be a tear or it could be normal. In the picture you posted, I can't tell if it's a tear, or the byssal opening. That's why a picture from the other side would be helpful.

peckhead

that picture was taken from my camera phone so it was tough to get a picture that good. i can try again tomorrow. is there any way that i would be able to tell if there is a rip or normal? do you ahve a picture or can you describe how it should look? thanks for being such a help already

brandon7491

have u checked for any prymaid snails? they look like this

i doubt its the cleaner shrimp because i have 2 and they dont pick at any of my clams. here is a pic of my clams what is missing on yours ur saying?

peckhead

the part of the clam is not shown in those pictures and i dont believe i have pyramid snails. the shrimp have been on the mantle for the last 2 days but it still opens, the mantle looks ok, its when i look in the incurrent syphon i can see through the side of the clam where i am not sure if that is normal or what Yosemite sam says might be the bysall opening.
yosemite: check out my post above brandons

peckhead

Link removed
ok i have that too.
when the clam is open, is it possible that i would be able to look into the incurrent syphon al the way through the bysal opening to the sand or rock or whatever the clam is on?

yosemite sam

Originally Posted by peckhead
Link removed

ok i have that too.
when the clam is open, is it possible that i would be able to look into the incurrent syphon al the way through the bysal opening to the sand or rock or whatever the clam is on?
Ooops, I guess the picture I linked was bad. Sorry!
Yes, it's possible to look through the incurrent siphon through the byssal opening to the sand or rocks the clam is on. That said, when I have seen this (which is maybe twice), the clam has been gaping, which is usually a sign of stress. Whether it's the shrimp that are stressing the clam, or if it was already sick, I can't tell you.

peckhead

so what exactly is gaping. from what you said, what i am seeing is normal? im working on getting the second shrimp out, what else can i do to make sure this clam gets better if something what wrong? phytoplankton and maybe some vitaman c? there is some stuff that regrows tissue and stuff like that that brightwell aquatics makes that seem pretty good.

yosemite sam

What you're seeing is 'normal' in that the byssal open extends for much of the side of the clam - there is a natural hole where you are looking. The fact that it is open, and you can see through the clam is not a 'normal' situation since a healthy clam shouldn't be doing this.
Gaping is when the mantle of the clam is retracted but the shell is open. The incurrent siphon is usually wide open as well. This is a sign of a sick or stressed clam.
Try and get the shrimp out, and see if they are the cause of the stress. However, as a few other people have mentioned, the clam may be dying anyway, and the shrimp are simply being opportunistic. If this is the case, there isn't really much you can do, unfortunately.

peckhead

alright thanks alot for your help. im going to get the other shrimp out today and well see what happens i guess. i have excellent water and mh lighting so hopefully it works out. thanks again sam