do cleaner shrimp shed their skin...

cmc3502

just saw what I thought was my dead cleaner shrimp and pulled him out of the water....but now I see him still in there... Is this his old skin that he shed??

dapak83

this is really funny but the same thing just happened to me... before i saw what i thought was one of my hermits dead... then i saw both of them and i was odly confused... and rite now i just saw my shrimps old shell.... thats so cool!... btw what happend to the old shell if i just let it stay in the tank? any negative affects?

reefforbrains

It haunts the tank as the ghost of Crabsmas Past........
Nothing, the molt will disolve or break down in a few days. Some people remove them. Others dont bother. Wont hurt or help either way. Its preference

rebelprettyboy

I dont remove mine unless im spot feeding the coral or something and i see it there ill take it back, but i normally never take them out

crt81

Yeah that is normal for the shrimp to molt.That's how they grow! It would be abnormal if they didn't- that would mean there wasn't enough calcium in the tank!

weber518

i had 2 cleaners both molted within days of purchase and both dead within days after the molt
I think they are very cool and hate that they died, but am alittle concerned about spending the $$$$ on new ones. Good luck.

althemean

I had one of my corals eat the molt. I guess the current carried it into its sweeper tentacles and it wrapped itself around it and ate it.

dapak83

ouch... but i guess its good then cuz my carbs molted before too.... and they are still doing just fine... and now my shrimp... nice!

shrimpi

My pompom crab molted and I couldnt tell if it died or if it was the molt. The skeleton was so colorful just like the crab, the only thing missing was his poms. :cheer:
Then a week later when he made his monthly appearance (if you have a pompom you know what I mean) I was releived to know he was alive.
:cheer: :cheer: