Do fish grow to their tank

moeel

i am new to the whole fish keeping idea and many people have told me fish grow only to their tank, could someone please shed light on this for me, i would appreciate it.

sac10918

My LFS says this is a big myth, and I would have to agree. I recommend only purchasing fish that are appropriate for your tank. Don't buy a larger fish and hope he will stay small!

alyssia

Originally Posted by sac10918
My LFS says this is a big myth, and I would have to agree. I recommend only purchasing fish that are appropriate for your tank. Don't buy a larger fish and hope he will stay small!

I used to believe fish only grew to the size of the tank, but I had a couple of freshwater fish in a ten gallon that got WAY to big for it so I had to take them back.

lion_crazz

This myth is not true. Tank size has no influence on growth. Water quality and food are the main things in fish growth.

O

oreo12

some fish will only get so big in a small tank where in a large tank or in the wild they would get much bigger. But most fish will not grow to the size bowl they are housed in. A parian in a 10 gal will not get as big as one in a 55 same for a gold fish. I do not think marina fish will ajust there growth to the size of the bowl.

juddster

i think smaller fish will grow larger in a big tank quicker however even in a small tank big specied fish will still grow too large for it!! jmo!

O

oreo12

Originally Posted by Juddster
i think smaller fish will grow larger in a big tank quicker however even in a small tank big specied fish will still grow too large for it!! jmo!
maybe :jumping:

squidd

some fish will only get so big in a small tank where in a large tank or in the wild they would get much bigger.
Stress from overcrowding, competition for food and lack of exercise, releases hormones that shut metabolism down and stunt growth and taken to the extream...death...
This is not a fish adjusting to it's tank size, it is a stressed sickly fish that hasn't the energy to grow fight off illness and parasites (or survive)

O

oreo12

Originally Posted by Squidd
Stress from overcrowding, competition for food and lack of exercise, releases hormones that shut metabolism down and stunt growth and taken to the extream...death...
This is not a fish adjusting to it's tank size, it is a stressed sickly fish that hasn't the energy to grow fight off illness and parasites (or survive)
My pairians lived in 2 sepreate tanks for over 10 years and only got about half as big as my freinds did in his 55 gal I treied keeping the 2 in a 55 but one tried to eat the other so I put them both in there own 10 gal tanks. I dont think they where streses and did not die from being kept in a small tank one of them liked to be touched. Anyway I will never put a salt water fish in a 10 gal and I don't think this works the same in salt as it dose in fresh water fish

sw65galma

think of it like this. there are different types of sizes of fresh water ponds, lakes, lagoons, what have you..So fresh water fish have the size thing built into thier genes..
Ever see a small Ocean??
No, it's not even in thier DNA to worry about size....They usually will grow to thier normal size regardless of what size tank they are in..
it's just none of us can keep these guys till they are full grown, most fish can live 15-70yrs....yes 70!
So chances of them living to they are fully grown is very little.