Do I feed hermits?

cash2170

My live rock was covered with algae before I bought 20 scarlet hermits and 2 emerald crabs. After 3 days, the rock looks pretty clean. If they eat that much, do I need to give them some type of food now that there doesn't seem to be much algae? Thanks!

dalerich

Mine are lazy. They sit around waiting for my to feed them sinking shrimp pellets. Feed them but if there is algea present back off the food alittle to keep them on top of the algea. This may sound mean but a clean up crew needs to work for its food.

jesatfis

Originally posted by Cash2170
My live rock was covered with algae before I bought 20 scarlet hermits and 2 emerald crabs. After 3 days, the rock looks pretty clean. If they eat that much, do I need to give them some type of food now that there doesn't seem to be much algae? Thanks!

hmm intresting almost all crusteatioin fresh/salt loves to eat shrimp pellets, but so do the fish so give them that when the fish are eating on the other side of the tank

mudplayerx

I always leave the algae on the back and sides of the tank so that the mexican turbo snails have something to graze on, thus leaving the algae on the rock for the hermit crabs. I have never actually seen my hermits eating the algae (blue-legged), but I asume they are as there is only macro growth on my rock.