Do I have enough lighting for a clam?

C

childress5tyler

I'm upgrading to LEDs this Friday and I've chose to do a DIY kit that has 15 royal blue LED bulbs and 6 very high end white LED bulbs..so total I have 21 LEDs in my 34 red sea max (i believe the guy who helped me on the phone said these 21 LEDs would be equivalent to a 175 watt metal halide..anyway, I'm looking into getting a clam and I've never done this before, do you think I have enough lighting to keep a clam on the sand bed? and what are some good guidelines to keeping clams

C

childress5tyler

The guy I talked to said the 6 white bulbs that I purchased were the finest LED bulb that he sells (and that the blue bulbs I purchased were the 2nd best bulb and best blue LED bulb he sells).
I am unaware of the wattage but the company that makes it is CREE
here is the product specification of the bulb (not sure if I can post this, it doesn't give an option to buy, just gives info)
http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLampXM-L.pdf

C

childress5tyler

actually, i may be mistaken but I think he may have said 3 watts per bulb...but again, i could be mistaken

C

childress5tyler

Thanks, that's what I wanna hear...do you think i could go with any clam and keep it on the sandbed?

btldreef

Yes. Just keep in mind that certain species of clams like the Maxima prefer rocks, while Derasa's prefer sand. That's not to say you can't keep a Maxima in the sand, but if you want it to be there, offer it a rock (even a few pieces of rubble buried under the sand) for it to attach its foot to.