Do I need a cleanup crew?

I've heard people talk about cleanup crews but don't really know what they are. I have a 3 1/2 month old 55 gallon with:
Sailfin Tang
Juvie Koran Angel
Mandarin Gobie
Firefish
True Percula
Pink Tip Hatian
Bubble Tip Anemone
CC Star
The only other fish I was considering adding would be a long horn cow, cardinal, and possibly a valentini puffer. I'm using crushed coral as my substrate until I make the sand switch.
Do I need a cleanup crew and if I do, what would that consist of? Also forgot that I did have 3 snails in. I put them in about a month and a half ago. 1 is still living, the one died immediatly and the other died recently. Thanks....AquariumRookie

wfd1008

clean up crew are the critters that eat the left over food, algea, and what-not. hermits, snails, certain shrimp, and some types of starfish. before you go out and buy a ton of things, make sure that the fish you have won't think that you're giving them a tasty treat if you know what i mean. if you get the right combo, they can do wonders for your tank.

sepulatian

You have fish in there that will get WAY too big for your tank (the Sailfin and the Koran) as well as a Mandarin that will slowly starve to death. Long horned cowfish grow to 18 inches and will wipe out an entire tank if they die. They are hard to get to eat as well, the chances of them dieing are high. When do you plan on changing out the CC?

reefforbrains

Thoses a pretty large and varied stocklist for a 55g but I am not going to whoop that horse. But I will say given your list of fish in that tank already, please carefuly consider all options before you put that cow in there. Not really a good beginner fish.
Cleanup crew does just what thier name implies. They clean up after all the other tankmates. Clean algea, uneaten food, and just plain act like little janitors.
Absolutle MUST? of course not, but they sure are the unsung heroes of many of our tanks.
JMO
to everyone else- be nice, we all have different opinions and there is one heck of a learning curve.

rad

I run no cleaning crew. Ive thought about some hermit crabs, but I dont want them messing with my corals or moving my rock. same with snails. just be prepared to scrub algae depending on lighting and some other factors.

Thanks for the advice. The cow was just a consideration, but I think I'll leave him alone considering their track record. I was aware of the Sailfin issue when I bought him, and the Koran was taken from a guy who was forced to break his tank down. I do plan on upgrading before they get too large, but as for now they are small and very happy in the tank. I am probably going to make the switch to sand in two months. I picked up another 55, am going to cycle that, transfer the fish to that one, make the switch on my current, cycle that tank, and make the switch back over, unless I just decide to keep them in that tank. I'm going to use one as an aggressive tank regardless. Thanks again...

wfd1008

why don't you put sand in the other 55 and once it cycles, leave the fish in there. one less step, one less move, alot less stress one the fish i would think. not preaching, just spitting that out there. ask on here about a QT. i would think that a 55 would make a nice one IMO. again just spitting out ideas.

Thats def a good idea. I have a nice 30 that I'll probably use as a QT. I really like aggressive tanks though. I would just step up to a 90 or larger for the community I have set up right now but my college apartment next year won't have enough space for a 90 and an extra 55. But yes, I'll probably just leave the fish in that tank if I can get some nice looking rock for it. There is already live sand in that one too.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by AquariumRookie
http:///forum/post/2526603
Thanks for the advice. The cow was just a consideration, but I think I'll leave him alone considering their track record. I was aware of the Sailfin issue when I bought him, and the Koran was taken from a guy who was forced to break his tank down. I do plan on upgrading before they get too large, but as for now they are small and very happy in the tank. I am probably going to make the switch to sand in two months. I picked up another 55, am going to cycle that, transfer the fish to that one, make the switch on my current, cycle that tank, and make the switch back over, unless I just decide to keep them in that tank. I'm going to use one as an aggressive tank regardless. Thanks again...
You don't have to do all of that. Remove the CC a little at a time. You can start now. Take out a cup or so every other day. Once it is gone, add the sand. BTW, I was not trying to flame you before. I am very glad that you have plans to upgrade.

That sounds like a good idea. That won't recycle the tank when I put the new sand in all at once though will it? And no offense taken from your opinion, I take everything as constructive criticism. If it wasn't for people pointing things out to me, I would have had a HUGE mess on my hands within the first month. I just read a posting/pic diary today about somebody who keeps dumping fish into a toxic tank and killing them off within a a couple days because he won't take any advice. I know where you are coming from and do appreciate everyone's input.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by AquariumRookie
http:///forum/post/2526626
That sounds like a good idea. That won't recycle the tank when I put the new sand in all at once though will it? And no offense taken from your opinion, I take everything as constructive criticism. If it wasn't for people pointing things out to me, I would have had a HUGE mess on my hands within the first month. I just read a posting/pic diary today about somebody who keeps dumping fish into a toxic tank and killing them off within a a couple days because he won't take any advice. I know where you are coming from and do appreciate everyone's input.
What kind of sand are you planning on getting? Get a long piece of PVC pipe, it can be small in diameter. Pour the sand through that. You will be able to direct it where you want it and won't have to worry about the sand being kicked up. When you have sand, and the sand sifting critters, you want your rock base to be on the glass so that they don't get moved around as the critters sift through the sand. Once the cc is out, shift the rock so that it is stable, then start adding the sand. Don't worry if some CC is left. CC is very light compared to the sand. It will make it's way to the top of the sand in time.

perfectdark

FWIW, as you mentioned you look forward to advice. You mentioned 2 anemones in that tank. Both have very specific needs that are a must for long term survival. How is your lighting and your water chemistry? Do you have LR in there or any ornamental pieces? Lighting needs to be strong and power compact or std flourescent lighting isnt sufficient. Just offering some help..