do i need a powerhead?

squirreloso

i just bought two baby barely 2" hippo.kelloggi's
they are in a 10g tank with macro algae and a maxijet 105 gph powerhead with the nozzle turned up towards the surface.
when the seahorses swim they float around a bit, so i thought maybe it would be better to remove the powerhead?
the only other source of flow would come from a whisper hob filter, and it barely puts out any current
is it ok to take it out?

I dont have a powerhead in my 14gal w/ my horses and they do fine....the only reason I can think to keep it in would be to avoid any dead spots in the tank and in that case I would direct it towards the bottom of the tank but that is just my opinion. HTH

Oh and where are our PICS??!?!?!?!?!

rykna

Originally Posted by NyButterfly03
I dont have a powerhead in my 14gal w/ my horses and they do fine....the only reason I can think to keep it in would be to avoid any dead spots in the tank and in that case I would direct it towards the bottom of the tank but that is just my opinion. HTH

Oh and where are our PICS??!?!?!?!?!

YES!!!! PICTURES!!!!!
As long as the surface of the tank is not stagnant you should be okay

squirreloso

i took it out, they seem much happier
heres a few pics. dont mind the algae, i actually want to keep it and encourage it to grow. in this situation the algae is a good thing :)
i just hope the algae doesnt suffer in the lack of flow.

squirreloso

TY

there sooooooo tiny. i didnt expect them to arrive so little

how fast do they grow?
they are eating really well, frozen mysis

teresaq

Arent you scared they will get caught in all that hair algea. I would be. You should have micros, but not sure about hair algea.

squirreloso

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
Arent you scared they will get caught in all that hair algea. I would be. You should have micros, but not sure about hair algea.
i dont see a risk of them getting tangled
there are macros, a big grape macro in the back right corner, they cling to it and also cling to the hair algae

zeke92

that algae is awesome looking in that tank!!!
love it!

i have one in my tank, but the only reason i do is cause it's 55g and i don't want the water to stand completely still, want it to move a tad bit to keep stuff circulating and going to my filters and stuff. my powerhead isn't much compared to a 55g, so no worries of it being too strong for them.
it's all up to if you wanna spend the money to get one really. some people sue them some don't.

squirreloso

thanks

i harvested a few hair algae covered rocks from this tank for my tangs in another tank. they went nuts for it! they ate four algae covered rocks in one day. i was hoping it would last a bit longer because it does make a great natural food for them.
its easily trimmed with scissors if it gets too crazy..i think i need a mini lawn mower

as for the powerhead, im gonna leave it out for now because the ponies are so small. maybe when they get bigger and i switch them to a larger tank they will be able to handle a bit more flow.

squirreloso

Originally Posted by NyButterfly03
My girl Grace was super tiny when I got her about 2 months ago and she has at least doubled her size but she is a lil piggy
aww she sounds so sweet :)
should i feed more than twice a day? i feed them about 20 mysis each sitting, so they both get about 10 mysis twice per day. each feeding lasts them about 2 hours before its all gone, dang they are slow hunters lol
i have a gazillion copepods living in the hair algae, i see the ponies eating them but the copepods are so tiny i dont see how this can be more than just a little snack.
so is 20 total mysis per day per pony enough for them?