Do I need a protein skimmer.

crf230

I have a 29 gallon aquarium with about 30 pounds live rock, a few corals, 2 clowns, coral beauty anglefish, and a purple firefish. I have a wet dry filter that is rated for 55 gallon aquarium. Do I need a protein skimmer? :help: I'm 15, and I have to pay for my hobby so I would like to spend under $90.00. If I need a skimmer, which one should I get? Is a Coralife needle wheel skimmer any good? I can't have one that is over 23 inches because it has to fit in the stand. Also, I dont have a lot of room in the wet dry, can I hang a skimmer on the side of it?
Merry Christmas!!!

fbm

Yes you do need a skimmer. The coralife would be a great choice espicially when you factor in the cost. You can hang it on the side of the wet/dry no problems there. But if you can fit a 125 in there you probably should go with that one. The 65 will work just fine but the bigger the better. You should also have some fresh saltwater made up because you will have to add saltwatter when you first turn on the skimmer. Do a internet search because they are on sale right now and you can get a great deal on one. If you can't find the site email me and I will give it to you.
dlake7@neo.rr.com

A skimmer is much more important than a wet-dry filter in an invert tank. Basically the money in this hobby is in the lighting, live rock, and skimmers. You can't skimp on any of them and get the same results.

fish-man-t

Originally Posted by Russy Pelican
A skimmer is much more important than a wet-dry filter in an invert tank. Basically the money in this hobby is in the lighting, live rock, and skimmers. You can't skimp on any of them and get the same results.
i agree skimmers are important but the kid sayed he has $90 so i think he can hold off for a while and save up for a good skimmer??????????

fbm

Originally Posted by fish-man-t
i agree skimmers are important but the kid sayed he has $90 so i think he can hold off for a while and save up for a good skimmer??????????

Coral life is a great one for the money don't you think? Alot of other people around here think so. Have you ever used one or have you just used expensive ones?

fish-man-t

well!!! i dont have a skimmer yet:) and i got lots of coral and fish that are doing just fine! however i have been lloking at alot of skimmers and i have not found a good 1 for under $234.99 yet but i have a bigger tank so im not looking at smaller skimmers

crf230

Thanks for the help!! The height of the inside of the stand is only 25 inches. Don't I need some room to get the skimmer cup off the top? The coral life skimmer for up to 125 gallon tanks is 24 and a half inches tall and the one for 65 gallon tanks is 21 inches tall. I don't think I can fit the bigger of the skimmers pump in my wet dry anyways. I have a mag 5 in there now, and there is not much room left.

fbm

with the coral life skimmers you don't need any room to get the cup off. You unscrew a colar then it just slides off.

crf230

Is a typhoon skimmer any good? I found one on sale for $68.00. It's rated for a 110 gallon aquarium. Witch skimmer would be better? The coralife 65 or the typhoon skimmer? Any one have a used one for sale?
Thanks for the help!!