Do I need a skimmer for fowlr ?

nimo1969

Hi everyone
Just not sure I have a refugium on 150gl with 120-130 with live rock ? Does a skimmer help or not ............ :thinking:

costa13

IMO yes, it would help keep your ammonia levels down and make your water clearer. It would also allow you to have a bigger bioload.

gnorman

i have a euro reef skimmer rated up to 250 gallons in my 150g system. right now i just have 3 green chromis and a diamond goby and it pulls a good amount out. id say yes get a skimmer. if your going to have big fish which are messy eaters then id say for sure ur going to need one

seasalt101

no you do not need 1 yes you want 1 to most aquariust the single most important piece of the system, and get the best biggest you can afford if you saw the gunk they pull out you would know that it is better in the skimmer cup than in the tank....tobin :happyfish

al mc

I can't think of a situation where a skimmer would not help....if you have a refugium most people would just make sure you put it in a place where it is not 'skimming out' pods and other things that you may be trying to grow in the refugium that might serve as natural food for your display.
IMHO I would get the best/largest skimmer that your budget allows. It removes many of the dissolved organics that you would otherwise have to remove with more frequent or larger water changes.

5.0stang

I got the 125 and wish i got the 220 its the same needle wheel pump but larger reaction chamber with a lil fishin line in the impeller and it kicks skim