do I need actinics?

blue steel

found this on another website
Brand New 2 X 175 Watt Metal Halide Retro
with 2 Brand new 20,000 Hr. Reef Grow bulbs included!
With Spider German Polished Aluminum Reflector and long German Polished Aluminum Reflector
This unit is Amazing! Plug and Play ready to go upon arrival!
Unit Comes with 2 - 20,000 hr. German Style Reef Grow bulbs- 10k 14k or 20k - Please specify the color bulbs you would like in your payment or you will be sent bulb of our choice.
Curved spider reflector makes unit 99% more reflective than normal reflectors- life with out a good reflector is very dark in your tank!
Long German Polished Aluminum reflector included as well a 36 inch or 48 inch reflector- Please specify size reflector you would like in your payment and you will receive - If not specified we will send size of our choice.
Comes with 5 year warranty m57 advanced ballast- enclosed in aluminum box that is 12 inches wide and 8 inches long.
8 foot metal halide quick disconnect chords are included.
Unit is made in the United States by Catalina Aquarium - The entire unit has a 1 year warranty.
Power chord is 8 feet long- can be lengthened per custom request.
are these good

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Blue Steel
Do I need to have actinic lights if I found a metal halide that can use 14k bulbs
You can get the Actinics to supplement along with the MH's. I run 2-110W VHO Actinics along with my 2-175W 14k MH's. It works and looks great, my corals are doing well!!! You can find my tank pictures in this forum... :happyfish

blue steel

can you tell me if the lights I listed above are good to purchase.
I dont even know what german style bulbs are. I thought those come only in PC

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Blue Steel
can you tell me if the lights I listed above are good to purchase.
I dont even know what german style bulbs are. I thought those come only in PC

Yes those are great!!! Next just depending on what K you want, I use 14k and they work great for me, some people like the 10k, it's great for growth and some people like 20k. Research on it and see what you think....I don't have a problem with growth of my corals with the 14k. Next all you need is a VHO actinics supplement.... :happyfish